L.A. Marathon Part 1

Kevin A.
on 3/4/08 7:27 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with

My marathon day started at 3am rushing to the bathroom!! Yep 5 hours before I was going to be running 26.2 miles I had the runs!!(Mistake #1 seafood pasta for my carb load dinner!) Me and Kirsten walked to 7-11 at 3:30am down the mean streets of downtown L.A. We walked past the homeless sleeping on the streets and the people walking from a night of partying. Got some coffee and imodium walked back to the Beilmore Hotel walked around the lobby looking at old pictures from the 20's & 30's. Some from of the first Acadamy Awards!!

It was 6am I'm dressed and ready to go. I had been thinking all morning if my stomach would hold up during the race? If I would be running to every port-a-potty when I ate something?? I felt good not nerves at all just ready to get started. We took the Metrorail from Downtown to Universal Studios. It was the first time I rode the Metro it was a cool ride with all the runners. We met up with AIDS Project running group. We started making our way to the start line. It was crazy out there with so many runners!! Just a sea of people ready to start running!! The gun goes off then I hear the music I LOVE L.A.!! We are off!!

Mile 1 & 2-18:49-14:43
The couple was up hill so the plan is to walk up hill then run the down hills to make up the times. Also there where so many people it not a safe place to run. I felt good!! It was crazy how many people were out there!!

Mile 3 & 4-13:36 & 13:55
I was feeling good but those times tell me I was going to fast!!(Mistake #2) I need to be at about 15 minute pace or slower. I was planning on doing a 1 minute run & 2 minute walk just like we did on our long training run but my group decide to do a 2 & 2 like on shorter runs (8-12 miles)

Miles 5 & 6 17:48-16:48
We had a lot of bathroom stops these to mile and I had to walk more to give my group a chance to catch up with me.

Miles 7, 8 & 9 14:56-14:33-14:23
Still was feeling good!! This was a very pretty part of L.A. huge old style mansions. There were rich people having parties a party in there driveway, Kids giving us high 5's it was a nice part of the course.

Mile 10 18:21
This is where the wheels fell off the wagon!! I was starting to slow down. I was starting to worry I was know where near the finish. Am I wa****ting the wall?? If so I was going to be in for a very long day!! Kirsten asked me if I'm as ok? I snap at her telling her I was GREAT!! After a few words choice words on her part. I told her to run her race I would see her at the finish line. She knew that means I'm pretty much done. I knew I could not keep up and did want to holds her back from having a good race. She ran off I was walking with my buddy Grove Daddy!! I had hope he would run with her to keep her company. But he stay back with me making small talk trying to make me laugh but I was in a foul mood. My legs felt like lead, my feet were burning and I had over 16 miles to the finish!! How was I going to finish???

Stay Tune!!

http://www.marathonfoto.com/order_assigned_photos.cfm?BFI=5n 4dww1rep&OID=13542008W1&BibNumber=21989&CustomerNumber=J31P4 5&Currency=USD&Language=en

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/grvddy/LA%20Marathon%20-%2008/

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
MaryS
on 3/4/08 9:59 am - Long Island, NY
Wow - talk about perseverance. I can't wait to read the rest of your experience.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 3/4/08 8:14 pm - DE
I amazed that you kept going.  Great job and can't wait to read the rest of your marathon story.    Rob
marsheeeee
on 3/4/08 11:39 pm - Jackson, MS

If you don't, you need to write for a living.  Boy!  Leaving us with a cliff-hanger.  Ok, waiting on the next chapter... Marcia

kilmarlic
on 3/6/08 4:47 am - powells point, NC
and then.... and then.....and then......

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Highest      Surgery    Lowest      Current                                                                 

314.5          294          208        258.4

Most Active