How soon can you work out after RNY

Maria H.
on 3/31/08 9:22 am - TX
RNY on 03/10/08 with
Question???????  How soon after RNY can you start excercising????  I am 3 weeks out today and want to work out to get more fit and increase weight loss.  I had my RNY on 3/10/08.  I am in the soft food stage and I am getting in about 60 grms of protien a day and 48 ounces of water each day.  What I have been doing is walking for 30 minutes each day.  I feel I am ready to go to the gym.  Let me know when you strted working out. Thanks, Maria
Chris Zane
on 4/1/08 10:45 am

I would ask your surgeon.  Mine said 6 weeks.  Also, it depends on if you had open or lap.  Don't go before your doctor gives the ok.

MaryS
on 4/1/08 11:08 pm - Long Island, NY
Maria, I agree check with your surgeon.  I think it was 6 weeks before I was able to go back to weight training after my RNY.  If you have the energy, you can probably up the walking at this point.  Maybe break it up into two sessions. Good luck with your recovery ! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Jen L
on 4/2/08 1:05 pm - Central, IN
My doctor sends us home with instructions to walk 10 minutes after each meal.  And then at 4 weeks post-op he told me I could jump out of a plane if I wanted to at that point  -- hence we were released for any activity.  You could always call his office and ask his nurse this question.  I'm sure they would have some standard guidelines they typically follow. Jennifer
Most Active