When is it ok to start exercising your tummy muscles?

frankielarkey
on 4/9/08 6:41 am - Riverton, WY
I'm due to have my RNY the 28th of this month, and I was just curious how soon after I could start exercising my tummy muscles? Or maybe... When will I feel good enough to? I realize that it's going to take the wind out of my sails for a little while, but I was just kind of curious. Thanks for reading, Frankie
wjoegreen
on 4/9/08 8:27 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Open RNY, about 8 weeks. Lap RNY, probably 4 to not more than 6 weeks. Soreness and post-op fatigue are going to be an issue to the 6-8 week point too, irregardless of the muscle healing.  Be patient,..its not worth doing to much and messing up and prolonging the healing than enjoying a little down time before cranking up and watching it melt off your body. Congrads on getting close.  Exciting,..ain't it??
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
frankielarkey
on 4/9/08 11:58 pm - Riverton, WY
Thank you. And YES it is VERY exciting!!! Got any good ideas for working out my arms and legs while I'm in the process of healing? I figure if I can't work my tummy muscles, I might as well work my arms and legs.
wjoegreen
on 4/10/08 12:28 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Low weight , high reps tone and tighten. High weight, low reps build mass. You can sit on your butt and do hand weights upper body work (curls, lift, press etc.) You can do leg extensions, presses, calf raises, and just plain old walking is terrific if your knees and ankles are ok.  It doesn't have to be fast, just 20 + minutes per jaunt or build to that and keep progressing.  I started at 5 minutes after surgery and now I do 10Ks. It is amazing to me. I never gave walking the credit it deserves.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Scott William
on 4/9/08 9:42 pm
I had the open RNY and did too much too soon.  I now have an incisonal hernia which is a nuisance.  I will get it repaired in Jan or Feb when I have my TT.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
frankielarkey
on 4/10/08 12:01 am - Riverton, WY

Ok, same question to you then... Any advice for workin out my arms and legs while I'm in the process of letting my tummy heal?? I don't want to have wimpy arms and legs lol but I don't want Manly arms and legs either..hee hee hee heeee

Scott William
on 4/10/08 9:35 am
I would personally wait on doing anything with weights until you are given the all clear.  You will have plenty of time to workout.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
frankielarkey
on 4/10/08 10:06 am - Riverton, WY
I just don't want to lose momentum is all, I want to do all I can to keep what muscle mass I do have. *sigh* I guess if I have to relax.... lol.  Tell a big woman to relax... hmm... I think I've relaxed WAYYY to long. I'm ready to get things movin!! But, I do understand what you mean. I will maybe do some flexing and stretching? breathing?  Thank You Scott.
                              ~~Frankie~~ 

~~ To Thine Own Self Be True~~

janiej
on 4/10/08 12:24 pm - Independence, IA

I started out w/walking -- usually 30 minutes.  After 4 weeks my dr. okayed me to join Curves.  That's really a good way to start ... especially with all the extra weight you are still carrying when you start out. Work it for all it's worth and then when that's too easy head for a real gym....  I'm 4 yrs out and now work out 1.5 to 2 hours 5 or six days a week.....  Good luck.... and watch out.... exercise becomes very addictive. Janie

Janie 
frankielarkey
on 4/10/08 1:05 pm - Riverton, WY
Thank you for your reply Janie. I would be soooo embarrassed to go back to Curves again... I was a member 3 different times... Once I paid for a whole year and ended up going for about....a total of 3 mayyyyyyybe 4 months. I also need to do what ever is free or VERY inexpensive because I am financing my own surgery... No insurance... Imagine that... In America... Huh... Guess that's what I get for not getting my education.... Anyhow, enough of woe is me. I will do as much walking as I possibly can. Then I will continue to post on here and take my happy buns up to the Library. They have videos for free.  Plus I can brush up on some reading about health and exercise and stuff.  Again, Thank You Janie
                              ~~Frankie~~ 

~~ To Thine Own Self Be True~~

Most Active