Treadmill Questions....

FlourPower
on 4/10/08 12:44 am - PA
Hello Everyone.  This is my first post on this thread and I hope that someone can answer a few questions for me. I just joined a gym two days ago and I have been enjoying it.  I am currently at 304 (SOOO close to that 200 mark and I want that bad...right now I've been at the same weight for about 2-3 weeks.  I know that's normal but....I don't like it) anyway, the only thing that I've been doing since I'm so out of shape has been the treadmill.   My dr. did tell me that he wanted me to start out walking and then build up from there.  He also wants to do resistance training.  I plan on taking some classes that help you learn how to use the equipment in a few weeks but until then I need to work on my stamina.   The questions that I have are.......(1) How many calories am I burning on the treadmill?  I walk for 2 miles at 2.5 mph at a 2.5 incline........(2) Is walking on the treamill going to help me trim down my backside and hips........(3) It takes me about 35-40 minutes to walk 2 miles..do you think this is good????? For now that's all the questions that I have.  I'm sure that I'll think of more...LOL!! TIA, Chrissy

[

Linn D.
on 4/10/08 6:36 am - Missoula, MT
Chrissy, In order to figure out how many calories you're burning, you really need a heart rate monitor.   I don't trust what any of the machines tell me even when I enter my weight. At this point in time, the most important thing to do is to get into a routine of moving your body doing whatever exercises you can be faithful doing.  Exercise isn't a means to an end (weight loss), it's a way of life and a matter of health. Chances are your basic body shape won't change, but when you get to a more normal BMI, your shape will also be closer to how you would like it - especially if you maintain a good exercise routine and have toned muscles. As you get more comfortable with the routine of exercise I'm sure you will begin challenging yourself more and more, so the speed you walk now is immaterial.  The important thing is to just keep moving... Linn
Chris G.
on 4/10/08 6:54 am
Hey Chrissy. I agree with the other poster, you can't really trust the machine I think. That's just my personal opinion. As for your second and third questions I hope these answers help.

Walking is a great exercise and the first exercise that MDs will tell their WLS patients to do as much as possible before surgery. Walking burns calories as well as burning fat while you're doing the exercise (about 45-60 minutes into it). As far as trimming down your backside and hips...don't count on it. I wrote an article for the magazine last year that addresses spot training. It doesn't happen. Having said that...exercise will burn calories and will help to lose the fat (the important part). As for your shape...you can't really change what God gave you. If you have large hips even while you're overweight compared to the rest of your body, chances are you still will have large hips even when you're more fit. But you can lose the fat, which is the most important.

As for your last question, I think whatever you can do, do it. If you can go for an hour, go for an hour. If the 35-40 minutes is all you can do, do it. You've actually accomplished the hard part...starting an exercise program.

Keep going!
Scott William
on 4/10/08 9:32 am
Hey there.  Linn is right about checking the heart rate.  I don't have a monitor but I will often stop mid stride to check the rate using the pulse in my wrist.  I like to get it in the 85% of my max heart rate.  An okay way to tell how many calories you are burning is this:  70% of your body weight per mile.  If you are 300lbs that would be about 210 calories per mile.   As you feel more comfortable, increase the speed and or duration of your walk.  Make it so that you are breathing heavy but don't overdo it so you begin to dislike it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
FlourPower
on 4/10/08 11:21 pm - PA
Thank you all so much for the info.  I went again lastnight and I am having a GREAT time!!  I would have never thought that this would be something that I would enjoy.  But in the past I've only used tapes here at home and it's just so different at the gym...I feel more inspired !! LOL!!  I did the treadmill lastnight.  I programmed the treadmill and let it do it's thing.  It was wonderful...I felt great and I'm doing that program again tonight.  I even tried the step machine.  I did five flights of steps before I had to stop because I was too tierd to do any more.  All of the elliptical machines were full.....so maybe tonight I'll be able to try those.  I'm not really worried about my hip size...it's just the extra fat that I have on my hips that I want to get rid of.  As far as my backside....if ladies keep buying padded undies and getting butt inplants then I'll fit right in....only mine is 100% home grown!! Thanks again!! Chrissy

[

Most Active