Update on 7 months of Weight Training after 240 lb weight loss

adam_
on 11/27/10 9:51 am, edited 11/27/10 11:37 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Well, first off, here is my weight loss before & after (240 lbs):

And here is what I look like now, after 7 months of weight training 4-5 days / week...I have put on almost 25 lbs yet remained the same body fat %.  Pics are flexed but not pumped...I look way better after a workout...haha:

I lift weights 5 days per week for about 90 mins plus 30-45 mins of cardio most days (OFF on Weds and Sunday)...here is my current program:

Monday:
Back/Bis
Lat Pulldowns
Dumbell bent over Rows
Lower back Machine
Barbell bent over Rows
Chin ups
Preacher Curls
Concentration Curls
Hammer Curls

Tues:
Chest/Tris
Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbells
Decline Bench Press
Flies
Chest Dips
Skull Crushers
Overhead dumbell Tricep Extensions
Cable Tricep Kickbacks
Cable Tricep Pulldowns

Weds: OFF

Thurs: 
Legs/Shoulders
Leg Presses
Hack Squats
Calf Work
Glute Ham Raise
Standing Military Press
Seated Shoulder Press
Reverse Flies
Shrugs

Fri:
Back/Bis
Lat Pulldowns
Dumbell bent over Rows
Lower back Machine
Barbell bent over Rows
Chin ups
Preacher Curls
Concentration Curls
Hammer Curls

Sat:
Chest/Tris
Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbells
Decline Bench Press
Flies
Chest Dips
Skull Crushers
Overhead dumbell Tricep Extensions
Cable Tricep Kickbacks
Cable Tricep Pulldowns

Sun: OFF

Mon: 
Legs/Shoulders
Leg Presses
Hack Squats
Calf Work
Glute Ham Raise
Standing Military Press
Seated Shoulder Press
Reverse Flies
Shrugs

REPEAT

As for my diet, I do a "Cyclical Ketogenic Diet"  which is a low carb / high protein diet consuming 3100 calories per day Sunday through Friday afternoon and then I load up on carbs but decrease fats and calories a bit (2600 calories) for 36 hours Friday night through Saturday night (midnight)...which is great for those of us who work Mon-Fri and like to party on the weekends...haha.  This diet was designed to cut fat while maintaining & building muscle.  Straight Atkin's style low carb dieting is not good for Bodybuilders because you *will* lose muscle along with the fat since you never refill your depleted muscle glycogen stores.

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/10 1:00 pm
That's awesome!  Congrats on your success!  I have been focusing on cardio to help me get the weight off, but once I lose the weight wanted, wanting to add some muscle back on. I also hear is good to do some strength training while losing so your body doesn't want to burn so much muscle too.  So I do some, but probably not enough to add muscle weight yet.  Hopefully you don't mind me asking, but did you have any skin removal?  Notice you don't seem to have extra skin, was just curious.  After 130 lbs I already have some lose skin, but still rather have extra skin then be 404 lbs again. 
adam_
on 11/27/10 9:36 pm - Boynton Beach, FL
On November 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, cruzksu wrote:
That's awesome!  Congrats on your success!  I have been focusing on cardio to help me get the weight off, but once I lose the weight wanted, wanting to add some muscle back on. I also hear is good to do some strength training while losing so your body doesn't want to burn so much muscle too.  So I do some, but probably not enough to add muscle weight yet.  Hopefully you don't mind me asking, but did you have any skin removal?  Notice you don't seem to have extra skin, was just curious.  After 130 lbs I already have some lose skin, but still rather have extra skin then be 404 lbs again. 
Thanks! Yes, cardio is great but I would highly suggest adding weight training as soon as you're cleared by your doctor.  I lost considerable muscle during my rapid weight loss  because I was unable to lift, due to complications and 2 hernia repairs. As for the skin issues, I was very fortunate that my skin snapped back very well considering the 240 lb weight loss. That said, I did have a bit of loose skin in my very lower abdominal area (1.5 lbs worth) and I had it removed last september during hernia repair # 2 as it wasn't much $$ because most of the hospital bills were already covered by insurance.  I had a bit on the arms but its been filled out with muscle now.  Little bit remaining in the moob area but that's starting to fill out nicely too. I think once I reach my goal of 250 lbs I should be free of any extra skin and nice and tight.

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Grandpa-G
on 11/27/10 8:43 pm - Grandville, MI
 WOW Dude!  What a transformation!  Thanks for sharing your program and results!  Now that I am at my "goal" I too want to build up some muscle.  Don't think I'll get a ripped as you, and now I am doing the "training" thing to run my first 25K then Marathon in 2011.

CONGRATULATIONS! and again, thanks for sharing!
Eating junk food and CRAP is not a reward...it's a punishment...
  it's a DEATH sentence...Reward yourself with Good Health!
Highest Weight: 287 Lbs-January 2010; Reached Goal 195 Lbs - Dec 2010 
Total Lost: 92 Lbs;  Completed FULL MARATHON (26.2 Miles) 10-16-2011

Scott William
on 11/27/10 10:14 pm
Nice work. Takes a lot of dedication to get those results and you did it. Keep it up!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/28/10 4:41 am - Fort Worth, TX
Well done bro!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

nate2009
on 11/28/10 9:29 pm - Lebanon, OH
Great job Adam !
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
jcheryld
on 11/30/10 2:18 pm
You look amazing! Can I squeeze those guns you've worked so hard to get?
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Most Active