Training strenght/serious weight lifting and weight loss?

thefinalfight
on 7/20/11 3:29 am - Lebanon, VA
Seems like most of the topics on this board isprimarily cardio driven.  Is there any fellow WLSers that have or are trying to makes strength gains while halting or even slowing weight loss.  I know the idea of gaining(bulking) isn't that fun of an idea for most if not all of us who fought hard and approached the scale each week hoping for decreases or no change at worst.

I'm 1 workout away from being a month into the Starting Strenght program and I'm going up my walls fast.  My squat has jumped about 95 pounds, bench is up 55, dead lift up 100 or so, power cleans up 40 or so and press up maybe 25 or 30, not sure dont have my logs with me right now.
I now next week I'm going to stall on 1 or 2 lifts, even though I shouldn't, seems the only way to prevent this is my eating maybe actually gaining a bit.   Just by the laws of the universe continuing at a deficeit and still making gain doesnt happen.  My main question is can I cut more weight and keep most of the strenght I've built so far?

I've read up on several other lifting forums, but not sure how our decision to undergo WSL impacts conventional wisdom.  I know if I ever get to the place of having to eat 3000 or more calories to make strength gains, Ill have to eat literally all day to fit it in due to my restriction.
-Josh
Facebook

nate2009
on 7/20/11 4:00 am - Lebanon, OH
My main focus is on strength training. Let me just say that you have to eat and recover to gain strength.... bottom line. I have bulked up but am still trying to gain strength. After RNY you have to outwork everybody to gain half the strength. Give it heck and eat too much protein along with too much good carbs. It has taken me over a year to get back to respectable lifts for the womens locker room .
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
thefinalfight
on 7/20/11 5:00 am - Lebanon, VA
Good to hear someone is working on the same.  I guess my biggest hurdle is that im still about 80 pounds from where I ultimately wont to get to, but with that said, I want to hit that weight with good strenght not burn off all my gains so far then rebuild.  I lost what seems like most of my strenght with the weight loss.  I think Im just going to try some clean bulking for a few weeks and see how it feels, if I dont like the results Ill adapt them.  I think if I up my intake and keep getting at least 8 a night and add some conditioning(namely hill sprints, may rig up a tire sled) and I think I should be able to recomp/ or loose and keep or improve my current level.
-Josh
Facebook

Earl C.
on 7/20/11 1:15 pm - Circleville, OH
Just up your protein. Try to get 1 – 1.5 grams per pound of lean body weight (not fat). You’ll have to drink a protein shake or 2. Thinner drinks like Isopure go down a lot easier. Just guessing, you should be taking in “at least" 200 grams of protein a day. Take in some healthy fats like fish oil or flax seed. You’ll be amazed how much progress you’ll make by upping your protein and healthy fats. Watch the carbs, you still have to take in fewer calories than you need.   Do the conditioning like you plan (hill sprints, sled dragging) plus some cardio. You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time believe it or not. Don’t spend all day in the gym, get in, get it done in an hour or less and go home. You get big and strong while you rest, not while you workout. Do your conditioning or cardio later in the day or in the morning as a separate workout which keeps your metabolism stoked. Good luck.
MacMadame
on 7/21/11 5:25 am - Northern, CA
I do my heavy strength training in the Fall, Winter and Spring, but summer is all about the long endurance workout. The only strength I do is to maintain May - Aug.

I like Crossfit. I can deadlift 135 pounds and press 45, the last time I checked. The other day we did a "Circle of Swing" workout and I actually was able to swing the 62 pound bell for 2 set of 14 reps. But normally I'm swinging a lighter bell.

This winter I did go nuts with the training and I put on a lot of muscle and, yes, some fat. You can't really put on significant muscle if you are eating at a deficit. Yes, it freaked me out to see the number going up on the scale. But as my season progressed and I started substituting endurance workouts for strength, the fat melted off. My weight is still higher than I started on the scale but you can't see my bones any more because I have muscles on my torso now and my arms grew an inch over where they were my lowest weight. And I still fit into all the same clothes even my smallest jeans. In fact, people are asking me if I've lost weight because I'm clearly smaller in the tummy area.

I think, during the weight loss phase, strength training is more about gaining strength (but not necessarily muscle mass) and about losing as little muscle as possible. I would wait until you reach goal to start putting on extra muscles. Well, I did wait. I did strength all through, but I wasn't focused on it until I got to goal.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

thefinalfight
on 7/26/11 1:02 am - Lebanon, VA
Thanks to those that replied.  I sat down took a look at everything and realized, realistically I wasn't taking in enough to fuel what I was trying to do.  So last week I upped my calories by 1000 per day, my lifts continue to progress and I still lost 4 pounds.  Going to keep with this until I stall or gain a couple weeks in a row then readjust.
-Josh
Facebook

Most Active