Achilles tendonitis

Easternshoregrl
on 10/24/11 2:44 am - MD
Since my surgery and even before, I have enjoyed walking. I walk about 2 miles 4X a week. I was doing the elliptical at my college gym until I graduated and can't use it anymore. I would love to have one but they are too expensive for one I could use. My issue is my achilles tendonitis. It has made walking/treadmill/elliptical very painful to do. I bought myself asics running shoes. I wanted to eventually start running but it seems that is out now.
The asics do help me to walk, but after 1/2 hr, I start having pain again.
Thanks for listening to me vent. It sux not being able to do the only exercise you don't mind doing.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

JsSkinnyMom
on 10/24/11 3:11 am - Youngsville, LA
That sucks! I feel your pain. I had just starting running and was really enjoying myself. Got up to running 5 miles then started having knee trouble. Now I'm reduced to running just 1.5 miles at a time. I had even signed up for a local 10K that I won't be able to do. Soooo frustrating... Guess we'll just have to look a little harder to find something that we enjoy AND doesn't hurt!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
jwc10s
on 10/24/11 3:20 am, edited 10/24/11 3:21 am
 I'm not sure I would give up quite yet if you enjoy walking and have a goal of running. Is it Achillies Tendonitis or Achillies Tendinosis which you have? There is a difference, and really needs to be determined. If it is tendonitis there are methods of elevating the pain, and also treatments. If you have an accute tendonitis it may be that you would benefit from a walking boot to immobilize the area for a recovery period. Have you tired shoe inserts in both running shoes and casual shoes? Have you been professionally fitted for a shoe at a running store to determine if you are overpronating? Have you tried using Voltran Gel which is a topical gel used which might help?

I am not a doctor, and you should make sure you consult with one for this problem. However, there may be some options to get you on the exercise path again for which you enjoy.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Easternshoregrl
on 10/24/11 5:07 am - MD
It is tendonitis. The dr recommended a running store and I went. I was fitted (and watched walking), and I got asics. I do have a pronation issue. When I walk I spend evenings icing the back of my heel and above. The asics help alot. I've had them 2 weeks. The inserts I got from the orthopedic dr don't help as much. I have another appt with the Dr to evaluate and perhaps an MRI and boot for a while. I haven't tried Voltran Gel. Is that like and Icy Hot type thing? Thank you for replying to me.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

Seht
on 10/24/11 7:49 am
I'm dealing with this right now.

The foot doc said
Stretch multiple times a day.  Put towel or resistance band around foot, straighten leg and pull toes backwards.  Yeah it hurts.

Also doing calf raises and lunges agains the wall to stretch it out.

Freeze a water bottle full of water put your foot on it and ice the back of the foot/heel area a couple times a day for a week.

Luckily mine doesn't hurt when I run, it only hurts when I really dig in like leaning into the lawn mower, or climbing stairs.  When you really stretch the achilles.

They also had me get rid of the inserts that were in my shoes and I bought some superfeet orthotics to replace the factory inserts.

I hope you get over it soon, I know it sure hurts when it flares up.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active