5 person marathon relay....advice needed...

bandhope
on 11/11/11 12:47 am - TX
My family will be doing the 5 person marathon relay. There are shuttle buses to take you to each transition spot. I've heard some teams will take one car so they can stay together, picking up the runner and dropping off the next runner that sort of thing. We want to stay together. It is a huge race (Dallas White Rock Marathon). I have never ran a relay and have no clue how the exchanges work. Any advice? Can we all get on the bus and ride with each other to each exchange point? I'm super nervous about driving to each exchange point and being on time. They close so many rodes off and the traffic is crazy (Dallas)! Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.
sknd34
on 11/11/11 1:43 am - West Fargo, ND
The marathon relay that I know of is here in my hometown. The way they work it here is that each relay lag has a separate bus that takes them to their starting points. Here they don't allow teams to take private cars from point to point because of the traffic issue.  Normally once you separate at the starting line you won't see each other until after the race at the finish line. 
Steph
MacMadame
on 11/12/11 10:37 am, edited 11/12/11 10:37 am - Northern, CA
I did one of these relays and we drove everyone around in the car. It turned out to not be the greatest idea as with traffic and road clossures, it took forever to get to the next checkpoint. We managed it but it was so stressful! (And we only have 4 racers so each segment was longer than it will be in a race with 5 people.)

Next time I do a relay, I'm using the bus! Another alternative is to have a 6th person who isn't racing who picks up the people who have finished racing and carts everyone back to the finish line for the last person.

Another problem we had is that we didn't have firm plans for how to get back together. The first racers spent 15 minutes looking for the 2nd racer! The rest of us did better as we worked out a plan while we were waiting for him. I had The Stick with me and the next racer would hold it up until the finishing racer saw it. Some people had balloon or signs or other eye-catching things. I wish we'd thought of this sooner.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active