Concerned about over-training?

Prov31
on 3/17/12 4:13 am
I am almost 2 yrs out from RYN surgery! I am just starting to work out consistently! I have been working on running of and on for a year now, and making no progress. Now that I'm consistently going to the gym, I'm struggling with knowing what the balance should look like. I really want to start training for a triathlon. So I'm incorporating running, biking, swimming, and weights into my workouts. I'm conflicted because my trainer before surgery told me to do cardio every day, and weights for each muscle group every other day.  So, I want to run everyday for cardio, but in the past week my times are decreasing instead of increasing. Here's what my routine looks like... Any suggestions?

Sunday -rest
Monday- 20 min treadmill run/walk, 1hr weights class (bodypump)
Tues - 1hr spin class (can barely walk afterwards)
Weds - 20 min treadmill, 15 min stairmaster, 15 min eliptical
Thur - 200-300 yd  swim. and weights
Friday - 20 min treadmill, 30 min bike
Sat - 1hr spin class OR 1 hr weights class. OR run 3.5 outside or Hiking with friends OR Skiing

Ive been at this now for 3 weeks and am exhausted! I know I need to build muscle, and I know it's going to take time... but does this look reasonable or like too much? How to I know if I'm bulding musce and just need to give it time to show, or if I'm pushing too hard and stripping muscle.

Thanks for all your advice...Your support here is amazing!
You were born an orginal, don't die a copy!    
MacMadame
on 3/17/12 8:55 am - Northern, CA
The thing about overtraining is that it means you are training too much for your body and your level of fitness. Therefore, we can't look at your schedule and say "oh, yeah, that's overtraining."

I made this mistake my first year. I got really excited about my progress and started pushing myself to go farther and also faster. I didn't think I could possibly be overtraining because I was working out 10 hours a week or less and "everyone knows" that triathletes training for half-ironmans work out 15 hours a week at a minimum so overtraining is when you work out 20-30 hours a week.

Except I was over-training. Because I jumped up too fast for me.

The way to know if you are overtraining is by symptoms. This article gives a good overview:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

This one is more technical:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

superconducting
on 3/18/12 12:04 am - Montgomery, NY
 This is my second year of Ironman training, and I can assure you, listening to your body is the most important thing you can do, and giving yourself therest you need is critical.  A quick search for IM plans will not show up too many plans that allow for 2 or 3 full days of rest, but I promise, there are weeks I take 3, sometimes 4 days off because of fatigue.  Its ok to cycle hard weeks and light weeks, and for those of us coming out of morbid obesity, I think we might need this type of rest more than most, but of course mentally for us its often really tough, because we don't want to slip back into "lazy".  

Just as an example, last Sunday I ran a very hard 13.1, big hills.  My calves were shot, and I was tired as heck.  I had a business trip Tuesday and Wednesday.  I did an hour ride on Thursday, swam for 20 minutes Friday and took off Saturday.  I'll try and do a long ride and a brcik run today (sunday)... but this is Ironman training, and yet I rested 4 days and did 2 fairly light workouts in a week.. my down week..  But I know my body, if I pushed it hard this week, my workouts would deteriorate, my real job would suffer, and I become a very ornery guy to be around (I was anyway).  And am I afraid of not being ready for my Ironman in July?  Nah, you can never be 100% ready anyway, and I'd rather get there healthy, and enjoy the journey!

So my advice is work on the mental block of rest, and rest, especially when your body tells you to.  If you can cycle an easy week in.  For me, I still pretty much do a 1:1 easy to hard week, I know others here are better athletes and cycle in an easy week less often, but its completely individualized.

Prov31
on 3/18/12 12:45 am
 Thank you both So much! I do have a major mental block against resting... And am terrified of regaining weight or not being strong enough! I will work on listening to my body! I appreciate the testimony and info you have both shared! Thank you!

Christina 
You were born an orginal, don't die a copy!    
Carol S.
on 3/24/12 11:14 am - Milwaukee, WI
 The way I look at is that I am more likely to get an overuse injury if I train too hard and those can take you out for weeks at a time, not just a day here and a day there.

If I'm feeling guilty I'll do what I call a recovery run (I guess that it a term that runners use I just gave it my own definition) where I add at least an extra minute to my mile and don't go over 5 miles.  This lets me run but not overdo it.  

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Paul C.
on 3/25/12 11:23 pm - Cumming, GA
 In my first year of training I suffered 3 injuries and a wicked IT Band flare up.  I always felt I had to push myself farther and faster.  If I wanted to get off the TM early I would increase the speed. If I didn't think I was fast enough I increased the speed.  After 1 Rotator Cuff, IT Band Flare up, Bad right Knee and Partially Torn Hamstring in my left leg I have learned a lot.  As bad as I may feel on days I don't do a planned workout I know it is for the best as a day off will not stop my progress or cause me to lose what I have worked up to, but an injury caused by over training has and will cost me months.  

Recovery for the hamstring was 3 months almost and getting my milage and pace back is a real challenge my runs are where they were about 10 months ago, a massive loss that I have to rebuild.

I have learned that cross training is crucial and so is listening to your body, but you have to be honest in your assesment of your body.  Do you not want to do the planned workout simply becuase you would rather sleep in or are you truely on empty that day.

Good Luck
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active