"How did your first Bicycle commute go?" you ask.

Lowcountry
on 5/16/12 12:16 am - Lady's Island, SC
So as per my post yesterday it was my first official commute from work to home and back to work this am.  It's 11.5 miles from door to door and about 98% is on pretty flat roads.  Yesterday afternoon it was in the mid eighties at the start of the ride and I felt ready for the ride. I had my water filled my CAC card (Government ID), my wallet, my cell phone and my dammit what did I forget oh yeah my keys to get into my house.  Luckily my wife works on another base that was on my way home, so I swung by and used that as a water break( I haven't perfected the drinking and riding yet) With key in hand and wedding band secure(I almost lost it, just started sliding off) None of the bridges were nearly as daunting as my first couple of time over them.  I did have to do some sidewalk cruising in one area because the cars were getting a little to close a little to often and the sidewalk was vacant. Otherwise the ride was great. Onto this morning.  My legs were a alot more tired starting off so I found myself in the first 3-4 miles riding in a higher gear than necessary. Once I realized that I started really utilizing my pedal clips in using both up and down strokes and lowering the gear to increase speed. The bridges were actually easier this morning than yesterday(Go Figure). I was thoroughly whooped by the time I got to work. But, after a shower and hydration felt great. Looking forward to tomorrow's ride home!

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

beth1010
on 5/16/12 2:18 am
RNY on 08/01/11 with
Good for you. I wish that I lived close enough to my office to attempt a bicycle commute!

Paul C.
on 5/16/12 3:22 am - Cumming, GA
 Awesome job!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
cabin111
on 5/16/12 5:55 am
Great job!!  Plus the gas savings and your health improves.  Just wondering how you will handle the humidity during the summer in the afternoons?? 
Seht
on 5/16/12 8:27 am
Congrats on the successful ride!

Next Tuesday is the last day of school for me.  I'll be starting my commute to work on the bike after that last class.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Krazydoglady
on 5/16/12 1:37 pm - FL
Good for you!

I commuted on my bike, year-round, all-weather, when I lived in Northern VA going from the outer edge of Arlington into Crystal City down 4-mile run trail, primarily.  I loved it.  I could leave work fit to be tied, and I would arrive home pretty much zen calm.  I worked for the Navy at the time, and we had a fitness center in our building where i would shower and change in the morning.

I wish I could ride my bike, now. It's only about 10 miles but the roads aren't great -- heavily trafficed 2 lane, country roads without much shoulder.. I might start once they finish a major widening project on the main road between my house and the plant. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active