Benefits from Walking

Suzanne B.
on 5/25/12 9:49 am, edited 5/25/12 9:51 am - OR
Hi Everyone,

I can not take credit for what I am posting.  I have stepped up my exercise program and I am now walking 4 to 5 miles a day and I am walking 7 days a week.  I NEVER walked this many days or this far when I was losting weight.  I have been reading a lot of information on line and found this article to be very encouraging.  Listed below is the Web Site that I got this information.

Hugs,
Suzanne

http://www.the-fitness-walking-guide.com/benefits-of-walking.html  

Improve Your Body and Mind With the Benefits of Walking

There are so many benefits of walking. As with any type of exercise, you can expect to experience:
* lower blood pressure
* increased energy
* ability to fall asleep quicker
* overall improved stamina
In addition, there are more exciting benefits to share with you!

Benefits Of Walking

As promised, here are the health benefits that have been directly linked to fitness walking.

Live Longer.
Yes, you read that correctly! A recent article published in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), found that how fast you walk is related to your life expectancy. The researchers found that The those who walk about 2.25 miles per hour faster lived longer than those in their same sex and age category who walked slower.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean you will live longer if you start walking faster, warns researcher Dr. Stephanie Studenski. Instead, Dr. Studenski advises that you handle any medical issues that may be slowing you down, such as heart conditions or obesity. For more details on this incredible study, visit EmpowerHer. 

Increase your resting metabolic rate. This helps to burn off extra calories and keep them off permanently. Fitness walking revs up your metabolism and you will burn more calories all the time, whether you are sleeping or watching TV!

Because it is considered a low to moderate impact activity, fitness walking is easy on your joints and bones and doesn’t cause injuries as often as high impact sports like running. Prevent or control coronary heart disease, some cancers, and diabetes. There have been many studies that have shown that walking can reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, breast cancer and diabetes.

Improve your moods and reduce anxiety. A psychology professor at California State University, Long Beach studied individuals over a 20-day period and found that the more they walked, the higher they rated their overall mood, happiness and self-esteem. Other studies have found that exercise can help by reducing the symptoms of major depression.

Reduce the risk of memory loss and brain deterioration. In 2001, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco, found that women in their seventies who walked at least one mile a day were less likely to lose their cognitive abilities than women who walked only a half a mile a week.

In 2007, researchers from the University of Illinois found that exercise, such as brisk walking, reversed brain shrinkage and increased brain volume in older adults, ages 60-79.

Slows the physical signs of aging. Exercise is vital to keeping your body feeling younger. It can strengthen your bones and improve your circulation. Keeping your body in good physical condition makes you look and feel younger. If you would like more anti-aging tips, please visit Effective Antiaging Tipsfor more in-depth information.

Boost Brain Blood Flow. The Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital's Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine in Dallas found that women age 60 and older who walked briskly three or four times a week improved blood flow to the brain by 15 percent in just three months.

Improved blood flow to the brain increases oxygen, glucose and other nutrients that are important for the brains' health.

You can read more about this research and the benefits of walking on the brain at UPI. 

Believe it or not, fitness walking can also strengthen your wallet and improve the environment! Here you can read more about these amazing benefits of fitness walking.

Wow! Are you inspired yet by the array of benefits of walking? Walking can help to improve your life in so many ways.

It is easy to see why fitness walking is the perfect exercise! You may begin to experience some of the emotional and health benefits of fitness walking during your very first walk. So, let’s get started!

Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Ksan32
on 5/29/12 1:11 am - AZ
 Great info!

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

Suzanne B.
on 5/29/12 10:00 am - OR
On May 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM Pacific Time, Ksan32 wrote:
 Great info!
 Hi,

Gee thanks so much.  I am on vacation here in Las Vegas and we have walked 7 miles today,  So you can walk and have fun too!  Never give up on your dreams.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active