5k advice for a non-runner, please!

Niller
on 9/5/12 7:26 am
I say go for it!   Walking is one of the best low impact exercises!  I walked the first year since I could not run - but I do run now - up to 40 min every other day - and I am really getting in better cardio vascular shape - but even though my goal is to be able to run 40-60 x 3 times every week every week - it burns very little calories - compared to walking - where I in total burns 2-3 times more calories than running. 

If you want to jog/run - walk and then jog/run slowly for 1-2 min - then walk again -repeat. Just take your time and go slowly - listen to body and be kind to your knees and hips. It takes time for tendons and joints to get used to jogging/running - no need to rush things and get injured. Eventually you will be able to run 5K - if you wants to - do it - but keep up the walking :-)
Kim S.
on 9/6/12 1:39 pm - Helena, AL
You are so ready for this!

Many people walk 5k's.  They generally allow 45 minutes to finish, before they re-open streets and such.  That can easily be walked at a somewhat brisk pace. 

Running gets easier the more you do it.....you'll build endurance over time.

Have fun.

Amy D.
on 9/6/12 1:58 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Thanks everyone, again, for the replies. I just realized that I mistyped in the OP and said run/jog when I meant walk/jog but y'all seemed to have figured out what I meant so it's all good, lol!

Next month hubby is doing a 10k "Wicked" run and there is a Monster Mile for the kids so I'll be doing the Monster Mile with the little monster. We'll be in costume so it should be fun. After that, I'm going to enter the next race he does that has a 5k instead of sticking to the kiddie races, lol!

I'll let y'all know how I do. Thx!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Most Active