Do you need to change amount of exercise to avoid re-gain in maintenace?

k33
on 10/26/12 5:37 pm - CA

I am pre-op but looking to the future.  Of course I will exercise during the first 6 months to one year after surgery and I expect to exercise the rest of my life. In fact, that is why I want to have the sleeve so I can move my body.  

I am wondering if you found you needed  to increase, decrease, or just maintain the amount of exercise you do once you hit maintenance to avoid re-gain?  I know there are other variables, such as grazing, carbs, and stress.  But all things being equal, what is your experience?

goldenhair
on 10/28/12 10:54 am

If you wish to maintain your weight, you should consume the same number of calories (caloric intake) that you use up (caloric expenditure) during the day - a state of neutral energy balance. Your weight (body mass) will then stay the same. 

k33
on 10/28/12 11:30 am - CA

Thank you for the reminder. I guess my question is not clear.  As a pre-op, I currently maintain my weight at 1800 calories per day.

If the only reason I will lose weight after surgery is because I will consume say 600 calories per day during the first year,  I can

expect a weight loss of one pound every three days (3500 calories / 1200 calories less per day) without exercising at all.

That would be 10 pounds per month, or 60 pounds in 6 months. Of courIse, if I exercise during the first year, my weight loss will be greater.  

Once I reach maintenance, I will need fewer calories to maintain my weight, say for example 1200.  If my hunger comes 

back full force,   I  will creep back to requiring 1800 calories a day.  So, in this scenario I risk gaining due to the extra

600 calories every day, or approx. one pound every 6 days.  So by the numbers, I only need to exercise beginning at maintenance.?

I am speaking purely from a numbers point of view, and metabolism isn't only calories in = calories out.  

jwc10s
on 10/28/12 10:54 pm

The answer I was given pre and post surgery is that if you do not want to hit a plateau, then you need to exercise  starting after about six weeks based on the doctor. You will be in a honeymoon phase of losing weight without exercising during the first 12-18 months, but exercise does two things, one helps you continue the weight loss, so during your honeymoon phase you get to where you want to be, and two prepares you mentally for the continued success of having taken the opportunity to have the surgery and make you a more healthy you.

Take a look at other boards and what they do to keep off the weight if they choose not to exercise. I dare say a number of us on this forum, have chosen to make exercise a huge part of their life, and we have increased our exercise from the bare minimums to accomplish goals.

Work with a nutritionist to determine what your maintenance weight will be at the end. Once you know the weight you will know what you need to do to maintain the weight. You will also know how you want to go about the maintenance. Do you want to use net calories, or total calories. I chose net calories, because my exercise from a day to day perspective changes, and it was easier for me to determine.

Your body will adjust to a given routine and become more efficient, so what ever you decide to do for exercise you will need to alter it so your body does become too efficient and start storing calories again. 

I am only 2 years post-op so although I may not be the best person to respond, I have dropped the weight I wanted to lose and I continue to drop fat, and build muscle. I went from 44% body fat roughly to 8.5% body fat in just under two years, and that was done through exercise and nutrition.

Good luck.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Most Active