Exercise and Excess Skin

Marissa G.
on 8/7/13 10:33 am - CA

If you start a good workout regime (weightlifting at the gym) as soon as your doctor gives you the green light will it reduce the amount of excess skin?  

Im 25 and have been obese for about 7 years. I weight 268lbs. Im one month away from my surgery and wondering if I should expect a LOT of excess skin. I know it depends on your genetics, but does youth and not being obese for a long period of time help?  

I'm currently working out 4 times a week and have no problem with exercise. So just wondering if anyone had input on the matter or have seen a reduction of possible excess skin due to strict workout regime! 
THANKS! =) 

M

nfarris79
on 8/7/13 8:43 pm - Germantown, MD

Youth and less time being obese are probably positive factors in your favor but I'm not convinced on the working out part - lifting or strengthening will help you tone (as well as lots of other things like helping up your metabolism, making you a healthier person, etc) so your muscles will look good under the excess skin, but basically once skin is grown, it's grown. I had my surgery at 32 y/o and some of my skin has snapped back fairly ok but I spent alot of my life obese. Just gonna keep playing the lotto for PS fund.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Michelle M.
on 8/12/13 12:02 am - CA

Hello!

I think starting a good workout routine as soon as the Dr. ok's it is ESSENTIAL!  I started weight training and resistance training workouts at 6 weeks, 45 min, 3x per week.  As soon as I had lost 20-30 lbs, I picked it up and added cardio.  It's true, that once you force yourself to do it, it becomes addicting. I am almost 2 years out, and I still work out like crazy. I'm a personal trainer now, which blows my mind sometimes when I think about it because I have been overweight my whole life!  I started out similar stats as you.  I was 34, 260lbs.   I am 158 now and very muscular.  People are shocked that I was ever overweight because I have almost no loose skin.  I have tiny bit on my lower stomach, but I also am a mother of 2.  I'm still working on that!  I think genetics might play a small role, but my mom had the RNY and did almost NO exercise.  Not only did she have tons of excess skin at her low weight... She gained most of it back now :(.    So just find an activity that you love, and treat it like a part time job!  train like you are going to the olympics!  Good Luck!

MY PIC:  http://instagram.com/p/cNBZVAreFp/

Marissa G.
on 8/12/13 4:01 am - CA

wow you look great!! thanks for sharing. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/13 4:11 pm - canada, Canada

Yes its true that Exercise is the only way through which we can achieve our desired weight loss objective in a better way.

Most Active