Starting to Run

elliebean78
on 3/24/15 12:45 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

I tried to run years ago. I was thinner than I was now, but also smoked. I tried to use the couch to 5k, where I walked for a minute, ran for a minute, etc. but I got terrible migraines and my lungs felt like exploding. I really want to try again, but I'm soooo nervous that it will hurt again. My goal is to run at least a 5k on my own eventually and then move up from there. 

Any tips for a beginner? 

nfarris79
on 3/25/15 1:17 am - Germantown, MD

While I don't advocate for pushing oneself into pain or injury, a bit of what kept me going as a beginning runner was to accept that it was gonna hurt and suck for the first year.... the body has to get used to the changes, so some aches & pains are fairly normal and lungs take a while to improve their capacity. Talk with your pulmonologist, but even as they feel like they're gonna explode, they really probably won't. Keep with it! 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Paul C.
on 3/25/15 11:33 pm - Cumming, GA

The C25K is a good program, but like you when I tried it I could not do it.  Looking back when I first started my biggest obstacle, and it still is, was my doubt in myself.  Things hurt when I tried to run, my ankles, knees, lungs  everything hurt so I gave up C25K but I did not give up on running.

What I have learned is there is a difference between pain and hurt.  Being hurt is a bad thing and will have a disastrous outcome if you push through.  Pain is that feeling I get around mile 7 where things just start to ache to the point my brain wants to quit.  I have come to learn that our bodies can take a lot more than our minds think we can. When I began training for Ironman Last Year I got a coach who I still work with.  The biggest lesson I have learned from working with him is that a lot of what we do is about Pain Management.  Being able to go that bit more than what your body says you can, weather it be a bit faster or a bit longer, our brains are locked in on who we used to be and have a comfort with who we were physically.  The challenge is overcoming this definition.

Best way to get started is get a professional fit for running shoes, typically free at your local running store do not worry a small LRS doesn't raise prices on the shoes so you will get the right shoe for the same cost as most other stores. Now this isn't to say you will have 40 dollar running shoes the right shoe will cost more but will be worth it in the saving of discomfort.

Second start you C25K app and don't give up!  if you have to go slower then go slower if you have to repeat a week then repeat a week just don't let your brain dictate what you are capable of.

Once you have done the 2 above find a 5K about 10 weeks out and sign up immediately for it.  Don't worry about running the whole thing your goal is to finish and prove to yourself that you can do it.  Then in a few months you will be giving someone the same advice.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MsMercy96
on 3/27/15 6:37 am

just start off at your own pace, buy a gps watch! Im training for my first half in may!

Braceface
on 3/31/15 12:04 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

I started with a commitment to avoid using my car if possible, and walk everywhere I could. So for weeks I walked to the store or out to dinner. One night I was walking to the store and I was freezing so I started to run. When I got to the store I realized I hadnt died so I decided to try it again. That was in mid December and I now consider myself a runner and am amazed how much I have progressed in 4 months. I went from not being able to run and somewhat afraid to running a 5k in 22:50 and now looking for other challenges.

Good luck and stick with it.

Most Active