Mountain climbing and recovery

katetme
on 7/8/15 4:49 am - Center Lovell, ME

Hi!

I had WLS in 2008, lost 100and felt wonderful. Last year I embarked on a quest to climb the 48 4000-foot mtn in NH. I am finding it very hard to eat enough and hydrate enough and recovery takes 4 days. All the recharge, recovery supplements are high in sugar. Does anyone else have good products that help with muscle recovery?

It was magic when she realized who she had become...
Kate    
Highest    Pre-op     right after Surgery         Current       Goal
      236          213                  219                            140         130

96 lbs lost and gone forever!!  To God goes the Glory!

Finally it moved!

Paul C.
on 7/8/15 8:07 am - Cumming, GA

Generation UCAN!!!! 

0 Sugar.

For Recovery you would want to get the one with Protein.  While Active you probably want the non protein.  Warning it is a Corn Starch based product so yeah texture is not the best.  At a moderate intensity 1 scoop is good for about 1 hour of activity.  Last year I did a 70 mile bike ride on 4 servings and Felt great.

While active make sure you are taking in electrolytes.  Yes people preach water water water especially while active but if you do not replace your electrolytes you are just as screwed.

Products such as NuuN and UCan Hydration are good.  I Use both.  I actually race on high doses of Sodium but while active 1-2 tabs per 20oz of water is usually good for most.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
katetme
on 7/8/15 9:38 am - Center Lovell, ME

Thanks Paul!! I am 63 and want to DO THIS!! I have Nunn tabs the fizz bothers me a little. I will look for the products you mentioned. I just hate losing 4 days.Thank you!

Kate    
      236          213                  219                            140         130

Finally it moved!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/11/15 5:14 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Congrats on claiming a challenging goal and working for it!!  I hope you earn your NH48 patch. 

I have used the water supplement MiO FIT - it makes water into Sugar Free 'Gatorade.'  I find if I stay hydrated and have sufficient nutrients and water on the trail that recovery is easier.  I deal with the bathroom issues but I stay hydrated.  (I am 58, so we are 'of an age')  

Next month, I am hiking down the Grand Canyon and then rafting for 8 days.  I am making arrangements with the outfitter to take some protein shakes and bars for me to supplement whatever I can eat of their 'normal' fare and I am taking the MiO FIT and liquid protein for time that I am on the trail or water.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Sharon

katetme
on 7/11/15 8:57 am - Center Lovell, ME

Thanks÷ I have used Nunn and power zero to hydrate..it's the muscle recovery. It's Sat and I just today feel my legs. I hate that1. I can only hike one day and 2. I lose the best part of the next week to DOMS.

Thanks for you encouragement! 

Kate

Kate    

Finally it moved!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/12/15 4:46 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You may have tried these remedies - but I found this useful.

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/08/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness-and-recovery.html

I had planned to have an ice bath (ie stand in the 46 deg river for 15-20 min after I had hiked down the canyon) so I wouldn't be so sore the next week.  I still remember being unable to move after hiking Ayers Rock 20 years ago.  Seriously it was like there were shards of glass in my legs that cut with every move.  Is that what is it like for you?  I have been concerned about it after a 8 mile hike - all DOWNhill.    

Sharon

katetme
on 7/12/15 5:00 am - Center Lovell, ME

Not shards of glass..just feels bruised and have no strengh. If someone runs into me I cannot saved myself from being knocked down. Up and down stairs...difficult. I think standing in a river is a brillant idea. I have iced on the way home in the car. Not much has helped. Thanks for website I will check it out.

Kate    

Finally it moved!

Most Active