Muscle cramps while standing?

Donna L.
on 8/29/15 2:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

So...I've lost almost 50lbs since my surgery June 22nd and I am trying to be much more active.  Cycling has been the easiest to do every day by far; I currently use a DeskCycle at home and work. I'm up to 30 minutes a day, and I add 5m every few days.

The biggest trouble I have is standing.  It's not my knee or back (both of which need surgery), but my thigh muscles and other leg muscles start twitching and cramping, and then feel weaker.  It's not a joint issue and it's really annoying.  I know I'm probably just having to strengthen them for better function as I weighed far more than 400 pounds for years, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.  Besides the DeskCycle, I walk as much as I can despite my knee (and even pu**** past the pain).  Walking is definitely still hard, though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 8/31/15 6:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would turn toward your shoes!  If you have access to one, go to a local running store and get fitted for shoes.  I wouldn't be surprised if you need different support for your feet and that's causing problems for you.  A podiatrist for orthotics would be another good option.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 8/31/15 8:59 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thanks, Gwen!  I'm not sure if my insurance will pay for a podiatrist now that I'm no longer diabetic, ironically... but I will definitely check that and the running store out!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/2/15 11:00 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Contact a podiatrist and check.  I am not a diabetic and insurance covered my podiatrist appts.  It sounds as though you are doing a significant amount of leg exercises - are you stretching mid-way and afterwards?

Sharon

Donna L.
on 9/3/15 2:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I do stretch before and after, but not mid-way.  Even standing grocery shopping I get very severe muscle spasms, which is very annoying.

DawnsPlusSizeWorld
on 9/4/15 12:58 pm

I had been left at walmart yesterday at about 11:00 A.M. and did not leave there until about a little after 1:00 P.M. And I was walking around in the store most of the time I sat down maybe 2 times for less then 5 minutes each time. I never had a problem. I got back to the trailer court and went to my aunts place and we went to her garage. She has high back wooden bar stools. But I never sit on them I place my arms across the back of the stool. And stand there. I always have a problem with slouching. But yesterday I got these sharp pains in my sides. It felt like nails on a chalk board. The sharp pain you get in your ears but in my sides. 

It was painful so in stead of walking away or complaining about it or just sitting down. I tried moving my body around to fix it. 

So what I did was spread the toes of my shoes apart a inch or two just to spread my hips a bit to see if the weight shift would ease the pain. It did for like a second. So then I tried to stand a bit taller rather then leaning. And that helped also. but what really really helped was trying to pull up my chest and upper rib cages by lifting my chest and straightening my back.

What you do is pull your shoulders back so that you could pretty much balance a board on the tops of your shoulders from the back of your neck. And then you stretch your back as much as you can without lifting your shoulders. And you lift your chest and pretty much everything gets a lift. And all the weight pressing down on you disappears for a few seconds until you release the pose or posture. And then just move your feet around a little bit until the feeling completely disappears.  

I sometimes do this sitting on the bare floor. And it give you a good stretch but its also good while standing and helps with cramps in the side. 

Sometimes its just the way your holding your body. That gives you cramps. "If you sit in the same way for more then a hour car ride. You feel it when you get out because of the way your body is being help."

So when no one is looking do something anything. Like take a little squat like even a inch  and then go back up and down. And if that helps keep up with it. Or since you said you like to cycle. Think of what cycling is. Its peddling and to peddle you need to bend your knees back and forth up and down. And your legs are probable close together since you are on a cycle. Maybe you need to do some thigh stretches and exercises so you can shift your weight better when your off the cycle. 

If you use your knees to do a exercise you love but then have pain just standing you need to find a way to enjoy just standing with those same knees. That way its easier to keep doing what you love.

Maybe you should check out bicycling forums and sites for stretches and exercises. After all indoor or outdoor cycling is still cycling. And if there are some tips on other sites that can help the more the better.

I wish you all the best of luck with your knees.

Most Active