What's too heavy to start running?

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/17 9:41 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I really want to get into running, I always have. I have access to a really good treadmill via my gym to start, but I am still pretty heavy at 336 currently. I know things can be harder on our joints as we're heavy, but is it okay to try it out on a treadmill, or should I wait?

Knitter215
on 7/8/17 7:18 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Try 10 minutes and see how it feels. The Couch to 5K program is very good for beginners. Generally, you do 1/2 hour of mixed walking and jogging. If after the first day you feel ok, then keep at it. No matter what my weight, running hurts for me as I badly tore up my knees when I was in my teens and am now bone on bone in both knees.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/17 2:35 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Yikes! I'm so sorry to hear that about your knees. I will give it a try, I have been worried to even start, but starting is always my biggest hurdle. Once I'm over it, I'll be so much more confident.

Gwen M.
on 7/10/17 7:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I started running at 260. I think that you would be wise to ask a health professional if it's okay to start - an orthopedist or physical therapist would be ideal, otherwise your PCP. Beyond that, here's my advice about how to start running when obese! It's copy/pasted, so just ignore that question about "are your running at all now?" :)

---

My #1 suggestion is "OMG DON'T DO C25K." Seriously, it's not the best program out there. I don't know why everyone swears by it! It's got this really stupid week, I forget which one, where you're like "WTF?! You want me to do WHAT?!"

Okay, sorry for all the caps :P

Are you running at all now? Or is running a new thing for you?

I think the "couch" in C25K is misleading. I know, for me, I had to claw my way up to the couch first and only then could I start a 5K program. I think that the initial intervals are too much for someone who is obese, and perhaps for any non-runner.

What's your fitness level at now? Are you able to briskly walk for 30-60 minutes without feeling out of breath or having any joint/leg issues? If you're not, work on that first :) If you are, yay! This would be the progression I'd suggest:

Week 1: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 15 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down. STRETCH. (If you don't stretch, you need to start. Seriously. I didn't stretch for forever and it was life changing when I started.) Do this 3x in the week.

Week 2: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 30 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down. STRETCH. Do this 3x in the week.

Week 3: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 45 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down. STRETCH. Do this 3x in the week.

Week 4: walk 5-10 minutes to warm up, run 60 seconds out of every 5 minutes for a total of 30 minutes, walk 5-10 minutes to cool down. STRETCH. Do this 3x in the week.

You can use most any running app (I like Runkeeper) to set up your intervals. Keep increasing in this manner, adding 15 seconds of running each week. Work up to running 4 minutes out of every 5. If you need to repeat a week, do it.

Once you're at the point where you're running 4 minutes and walking 1, and this feels survivable, consider an app like the Zombies Run 5k Training plan. It's much better than C25K in terms of development and progression. Plus it includes things like stretching and heel lifts and knee lifts that help keep things interesting.

This probably sounds like a insanely slow progression, but, believe me, it's worth it. The number 1 route too injury is trying to do too much too soon and that's even more so for people like us who have jacked up body mechanics due to our obesity. You'll also need to replace your shoes more often than a normal weighted person will - I have to change mine every 200 miles to stave off shin splits. My normal weighted friends can get away with closer to 400 miles between shoes.

If you haven't already done so, get yourself to a speciality running store to get properly fitted for running shoes. You might also consider seeing a podiatrist for custom orthotics, especially if you've had issues with plantar fasciitis in the past! They're a lifesaver for me.

I'm not trying to sound dire or like I'm warning you off running, since I'm not. Running is amazingly awesome and races are the best feeling and the running community is the best ever :) I think everyone should run :D But it's so easy to totally screw yourself up and then you're out of commission healing and no body wants that.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

peachpie
on 7/10/17 6:36 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I was 280 when I started. I hate treadmill running, so I started outside. I didn't consult with anyone, mainly because I never had hip, joint pain etc. I did couch to 5k to start- and I agree with Gwen that it does jump you pretty quick, but you can always modify it to your ability.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

HonestOmnivore
on 7/19/17 10:55 am
RNY on 03/29/17

As I was doing my pathetically slow run Monday night (7/17) I was mulling this over and I remembered my PCP's advice way back in 2010 when I was last trying to run. At the time I was over 200lbs and my knees were killing me. My PCP advised that I ice them after every run. I was running, three days a week in the morning, then I would shower and drive an hour to work. I got elastic pull over knee brace things, and stuffed a frozen gel pack in each, over the sore part of the knees, while I drove in. Her point was that my weight was doing more long term damage than the wear and tear on my knees.

That said, with your WLS you KNOW you're lose significant weight over the next few months. Maybe doing low impact, whole body workouts like the elliptical machine and swimming would make sense while you drop additional pounds. The aerobic exercise will grow your lung efficiency and make running that much easier once you're down another hundred pounds.

Just my two cents!

Oh, and eight weeks into running am at a blinding 18:30 minute mile. soooo slow!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

jess9395
on 7/23/17 8:01 am - Pismo Beach, CA

i second the couch to 5k recommendation! I started it around 225 I think? And really pay attention to how your knees and ankles and feet feel. Make sure you wear good supportive shoes that are broken in but not worn out.

If a step feels like too much, take a day or two (or week) off and repeat it. I know lots of people *****peated days or whole weeks in the program.

I did my first half marathon 6 months after starting couch to 5k and now run marathons!

Charles_TM
on 8/2/17 8:34 am

If your gym has an elliptical it might be better to start there.

If not then go for the treadmill. Start slow and ramp up from there.

Would probably also be a good idea to stretch properly beforehand if you're worried about injury.

But all in all give it a try, if you love doing it and your joints are fine then by all means keep going. If it doesn't work out then there's other things you can do in the meanwhile.

David-Ryan
on 9/28/17 6:00 am

Always keep in mind, put that much burden on your body that it can bear easily, for fat loss treadmill run, track jogging and running are best but there are lot of other things that can burn your fat as faster as these activities can do.

Follow some tips to burn your fats.

1) make habit of chewing gum, it burns your calories

2) Try to take green tea twice a day

3) Drink plenty of water as it help to improve your digestive system

4) Control your daily diet and try to reduce your meal intake day by day

5) Do swimming 2 or 3 times per week

Gwen M.
on 10/11/17 7:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You've posted a lot of bull**** to this forum, but this is the most egregious.

Do you have peer-reviewed scientific journal articles to back up your claims? Chewing gum does not burn calories and green tea does nothing for weight loss.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active