How to begin?

ginamok73
on 10/17/04 2:13 pm - Enid, OK
Full Disclosure --- I've never been a big exersize buff. The activities I was involved in when I was younger were always active things, like cheerleading, color guard --- I got exersize. As I grew out of those things, i.e. got out of school. I just haven't really found anything that really grabs me. I've tried joining a gym (you have to go there to get anything out of it), walking, running, biking, exersize tapes... I guess my question is this --- Is there anything that's not "routine" that will help me get my exersize program going? I know I need it, but just haven't found anything I stick with ... What do you all enjoy doing for exersize? Thanks, Gina
Jenny B.
on 11/3/04 2:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi Gina. I never liked to exercise either. I got an iPod (Apple brand MP3 player) where I can load digital music. On the computer, I can group songs together into playlist. I pick "dance" type songs and group them into different speeds. I started by walking with my iPod ... it's "forward dancing"! For me, the walking lead to running, the elipitcal trainer and serious weight-lifting. It's the music that makes it fun ... I wouldn't do it without the tunes! I've actually driven to the gym, discovered I forgot my music and turn around to go home and get it. If it's raining, or I can't go for a run/walk everyday (outside) ... I get really upset ... it's my "fun" time now. So, you might give walking to music a try. Do you have a portable CD player, a cassette player? If you can't make your own playlist, you can buy CDs and Cassettes that are designed for exercise. The MP3 players are nice but you have to know something about computers .... HTH. Jenny
Pegtrala
on 11/29/04 11:59 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Gina. I just now read your post from October 17. How is the exercise thing going? I just posted a message today about Curves. I really like it. Have you tried it yet? It is the first exercise program I have found that I really like other than walking with a friend. It is for women only, and you don't have to get all "dolled up" to do it. It only takes about 30 minutes, and you get to exercise to music. One of the gals who works there weighs at least 350 lbs or more. They take your weight and measurements, and also have a hand-held machine that measures your body mass index (BMI). If you have a Curves in your area, you might try it out, and NO, I don't work for Curves. I just really like going there. Good luck. Maybe we can root each other on with our exercise program. Peg
LESLIE S.
on 3/12/05 4:54 am - EAST HARTFORD, CT
gena from the way i see it u r still lucky. MY NAME IS LESLIE. I AM CURRENTLY IN AN ELECTRIC WHEEL CHAIR. IF YOU ARE WALKING EVEN a LITTLE YOU R EXERSIZING. MY SUGGESTION DO A DOUBLE TAKE. IF U REACH FOR SOMETHING ON THE FLOOR REACH TWICE. OR GO UP AND DOWN THAT STEP AN EXTRA TIME. DOUBLE ONE THING FOR A WEEK THEN TWO THE NEXT THEN BEND THREE TIMES AND SO ON YOU GE THE IDEA..............WHAT I AM LOOKING 4 IS W/C WXERSIZES AND A PARTNER.....GOOD LICK...LESLIE IN EAST HARTFORD PS AND A PARTNER
Most Active