Morning Coffee

gman1972
on 6/27/11 12:17 am
Did you do any pride related things this last week and how did it make you feel?

Dont you think our community should be more conscious of the social stigmas considering how society has treated us from a historical perspective?

Why is it that we seem to have more social barriers in our community?

Thoughts comments, etc...

Hugs
G

Ithocles
on 6/27/11 2:22 am
Hello G,

While we've done pride related things in the past, this weekend we didn't.  Kenny was working this Saturday and I was at home working and cleaning up a storm.  And the no eating this weekend was tough.  We'll be back at it next year though.

I do think that our community should be more conscious of the social stigmas we have.  As a community, we don't know much about our past and I think there is quite a bit of apathy going on right now.  Hopefully it is changing.

I'm not sure why we have so many social barriers other than the influence of radical religiousity.  However, I put quite a bit of blame on gay people in general, and those that love them.  If every gay person, and ever person who loves a gay person, spoke up and said it's not okay socially, including politically, there would be a huge shift in society.

I don't throw my sexuality in everyone's face, but I don't hide it either.  I don't play the pronoun game or do anything to minimize our relationship.  I have taken a new stand though here recently.  Kenny, my partner is closeted at work.  To keep that in place, I've had to step back in a time or two myself and it has effected me much more than I thought.  I found myself making allowaces for people to say stuff that before I would have had a problem with.  I stood up to one of Kenny's friends a couple of months ago, which caused a pretty big uproar.  However, it's just not okay anymore.  If you are going to say you love me, show it.  Otherwise...out of my life.  Drastic I know, but needed.

I'll get off my soapbox now G, but this is something I'm passionate about.  After I graduate, I'll get more involved.

-Danny

Leza F.
on 6/30/11 5:04 pm - Wheat Ridge, CO
Yup!  We took the kids to Denver PrideFest on the 19th and had a huge BBQ at the park next to our house right after Pride.  We were celebrating our families, Erin's new job and my getting  under 200 pounds for the first time in my adult life!  It was awesome!!!

I have noticed quite a few cliques in the GLBT community through the years that I have been involved. There are many exclusions, especially if you are on the low end of the socio-economic chain for whatever reason.  I have also seen people shunned for having children from a straight relationship  previously....as well as those that are bisexual and transgendered.  My partner is M2F transgender and I still get flack for being with her and calling myself a lesbian.  The reality is, it's no one else's business who she, I, or anyone else identifies as, we should ALL support one another b/c there are a lot of people out there working against the greater good, even these days.

Just sayin'!
http://lezabug.blogspot.com/
http://barigurl1976.blogspot.com/  Going Bariatric on a Budget!!

dianegloria
on 7/13/11 7:51 am - Ft. Collins, CO
 I recently saw a couple of shows on LOGO that was discussing these very issues and why it is that in the gay culture there is a huge bias that favours the buff beefcake,  has to do with the history and lots of other factors.

Lots of exercise bulemics shared their stories. Many shared how they were absolutely shunned when they were "pudgey" and when they lost wt, went to the gym, got muscle definition they were treated like night and day. It is a very superficial thing, but it exists.

The women have  other issues and they had several shows on body issues within our community as well. It is interesting. 

I am proud that LOGO is taking on this issue, head on.
Troy Roberts
on 7/28/11 3:34 pm - CO
I AGREE SINCE I HAVE LOST 105 POUNDS AND MUCH SMALLER I HAVE MORE MEN LOOK AT ME AND MY PARTNER GO OUT EVEN TRY TO HIT ON ME . AS GOOD AS IT FELLS IT SUCKS AT THE SAME TIME THAT GAY MEN CAN BE THAT SHALLOW . LUCKILY MY PARTNER IS SUCH A GREAT MAN AND LOVES ME FOR ME AND  NOT MY SIZE . HE IS ONLY 145 POUNDS AND 5FT 6IN . I WAS TWICE HIS WEIGHT SIZE.
WE HAVE THREE KIDS BETWEEN US TWO BOYS OF MINE FROM A 15 YEAR MARRIAGE AND ONE BOYS OF HIS FROM A 8 YEAR MARRIAGE . AND ALOT OF THE GAY FRIENDS WE HAVE DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT .
ALL I CAN SAY IS BE YOURSELF AND LOVE YOURSELF FIRST AND OTHERS WILL LOVE YOU . WE HANG OUT WITH ARE STRAIGHT MORE THEN GAY ONES THEY SEEM TO GET US AND DON'T JUDGE US AS BAD FOR HAVING KIDS. TROY
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 367 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 939 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1316 views