Advice?

jlangley
on 7/14/13 2:08 am - NC
VSG on 08/05/13

My partner and I have been together for almost 11 years now... and she has been SO supportive of my decision to go down this path (pre-op now for VSG).  But last night, as we were trying to go to sleep, I could tell she was crying... when I asked what was wrong, she said she's just worried that something will go wrong with the surgery.  I had my gallbladder out about 6 years ago, so I tried to remind her how that went and that the surgeon has said this is less risky than that procedure was... I guess my point / question / plea for advice is how can I handle her emotions about this AND mine?  I've tried to suggest that she join an online forum or start talking to people... but she assures me she's fine... UNTIL...

Any advice??

RainbowRN
on 7/14/13 3:32 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

That's such a hard situation.  My wife and I both had the RNY surgery about a month apart so that worked well for us.  We were both really scared that something bad would happen in surgery but we both wanted to be healthy and we had gotten to the point that we had to take the risk.  Thankfully, nothing happened.  I would suggest that maybe you guys check out how low the rate is for serious complications.  Maybe look into all the WLS facts together.  Maybe by doing it together it will calm her nerves.  It's hard to try and handle your emotions and hers. You have alot on your shoulders.  I wish you good Luck!!   Keep us updated.  This forum is honestly not that busy but I do try and check on here at least everyday.  I'm usually on my RNY forum.  :) 

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

suezqxoxo
on 9/1/13 12:33 am - Memphis, TN

my partner and I have been together for almost 6 yrs but we were best friends in high school (known each other 20yrs)

She is super skinny and I am not- I had surgery 15months ago- and she didnt really talk about her fears (and still doesnt really) but with me talking about my concerns it made her open up and talk about how she was feeling. She was just as scared as I was but she said she felt like she had to be my rock- so maybe if you talk about how your feeling she might want to open up at the same time- hope this helps

johjen
on 9/12/13 8:23 am
I imagine that things are moving along just fine by this point, but wanted to weigh in anyway..

My wife was really scared as well, not only about the procedure and possible complications (which really there is no control of) but she was/is worried about what this all means for her and our relationship..

Statistically the success of relationships post op is not great.. Nothing but time and patience is going to prove that our relationship will withstand whatever WLS throws our way. Still this whole process can be scary for everyone involved for all kinds of reasons...

Stay strong
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 360 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 930 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1307 views