Golf - Motivation for WLS?

dbaigent1
on 2/21/05 3:47 am - Burlington, Canada
I am a really bad golfer who lives to play (Handicap 24 - 50 to 60 rounds per year). I always walk the course unless it is a tournament through work where walking is discouraged. Last year I started experiencing foot pain, especially in the 24 hours after having walked a course. I bought new shoes and there was no improvement. My Doctor did X-Rays to eliminate bone problems. That left only my weight to blaim for the pain. I had heard that Tom Lehman experienced severe foot pain a year or two ago and he corrected the problem with custom orthodics. I discussed this with my Doctor and he said that custom orthodics would help, but that wieght loss would also work if I had not had this problem before at lower wieghts. My Doctor is supportive of my decision to have WLS and I am looking forward to getting to a lower wieght that will remove the foot pain and probably help my swing too. Fore!! David
scmcdunn
on 5/24/05 4:05 pm - Schaumburg, IL
David, I completely understand your motivation and your situation. When the pulmonoligist asked me why I wanted to do this I said besides the health benefits was to improve my golf game. He said if there was an operation he could have to improve his game he would have it! Do you have a date yet? Mine is next week 5/31 and can't wait to get it done and get back on the course! Sue McD
dbaigent1
on 5/26/05 9:31 pm - Burlington, Canada
Sue, I see you are from the Windy City. In Toronto we have about 300 courses within 1 hour of downtown. Very similar numbers to Chicago. My Surgery (Open - Duodenal Switch) is scheduled for June 22, 2005. I wish you luck with your's and hope you can swing a club before long. I have been out 17 times since April 7 and plan on playing at least every other day till surgery. Who knows, that may be the end of my season (but not my career). David
scmcdunn
on 10/2/05 3:00 am - Schaumburg, IL
Hey David, How are you doing after your surgery? It's 10/2/05 so you should be out golfing again. Today is a beautiful day in Chicago, my husband and I have a 3pm tee time for twilight. I'm going to walk the course which I haven't been able to do in a long time! Hope you are doing well and hope the golf Gods are good to you! Sue McD
Most Active
Recent Topics
Support Group in PA
judytorre · 0 replies · 824 views
Edmonton Golf
Frenchie_1234 · 0 replies · 357 views
anybody watching the Masters?
olivija24 · 0 replies · 338 views
Got a new set of clubs!
Dave · 6 replies · 424 views