I've got to brag!

Dave
on 5/2/05 5:14 am - Palmyra, VA
Since this board is not very active, I feel it's ok to post this here for you few golfers. So I stopped playing golf about 2 years ago after I had my aortic valve replaced and gained about 40 pounds. I blamed it on my tightness due to the muscles in my chest but it really was because I was worn out from carrying all the weight around. Well I played maybe 5 times in the last 2 years (all capt choice tournies) where I simply hit the ball as hard as possible and made some decent shots. I maybe played twice for myself - trying to score and see how well I play. Since surgery in March, I've now played twice. First round was an 85 and I couldn't make a putt. Last Friday evening, I met my usual Saturday group and we played (only planned on 9 but we made it an entire round before rain and darkness fell) and I shot a smooth 80! That's pretty decent for me and I have a ways to go to get decent again but I also had 4 birdies. I once was a 2 handicap player and played on my college team. I was a steady 7-9 handicap for the last 10 years and played at least once a week and usually one other 9 holes on a weeknight. It seems my life is getting back to normal with this WLS and I'm really enjoying playing again. I can't wait until the rain stops coming on the weekends and I can get back into te groove and shooting in the 70's again! Don't give up! It gets better! Dave
kabarron1
on 5/4/05 12:56 am - Hopewell, VA
Nice! I'm a late comer to the golfing scene. About a year ago a college buddy of mine was in town and asked me if I wanted to go to the driving range. I was hesitant; but agreed to go. I got 90 balls and out of those I hit maybe 4 that didn't hurt and went straight. I was hooked. This past Sunday, same buddy back in town, we went to the Prince George public golf course for my first round of golf. While I shot a WHOPPING 139 and I couldn't tell the rough from the fairway, I still had a hell of a good time. Congrats on your low scores! I'll be happy if I can just complete one day in our company annual tourney.
ewalton
on 5/8/05 11:21 am - Marlborough, CT
As a pre-op bogie golfer, I often wonder whether I am struggling with my game of golf or my weight. I am glad to see you were able to play a short time after your surgery and you are looking to play more. I was worried about the effect of the twisting motion around my waist. I am hoping the reduced weight will allow me a better swing and eventually better scores. Thanks for the encouragement. Ed
Dave
on 5/9/05 9:49 pm - Palmyra, VA
Ed, I had the lap RNY and felt great about 3 days out. My doc didn't want me to play for at least 3 weeks though just to be safe. No question my wieght hurt my game. I was out of breathe walking from the cart to the ball in the fairway! I still hit the ball well but my yardage was going down very quick - and I'm a long hitter. I played last Saturday -my first round in golf shoes in several years - and found that the added height (compared to sneakers) affected my iron play. I'll just have to hit a couple thousand balls into the backyard net and get used to playing in real golf shoes again. Good luck on your surgery! Dave
scmcdunn
on 5/23/05 12:14 am - Schaumburg, IL
WOW, that's great news! I'm trying to get all the golf in that I can before my surgery on May 31st. I played 18 yesterday and shot a 96, which is what I shoot. I'm hoping that weight loss will finally help me to improve past this point and maybe one day break 90! Sue McD
(deactivated member)
on 7/13/05 10:24 am - Fort Myers, FL
Congratulations Dave on your round of 80! Have you hit the 70's yet? I play almost every day in the winter--tend to take time off in the summer and only play a couple times. My lowest score ever was an 83.
Dave
on 7/13/05 11:44 am - Palmyra, VA
Lynda: Yes I've gotten into the 70's (a 77 and several 80's). I love the summer even though it's very hot here because my shoulders are bad due to wrestling, football and a bad car wreck about 10 years ago. I play during the winter but the heat of summer allows me to not feel it so bad for several days after every round. Good luck and fairways and greens! Dave
FOGHORN
on 10/5/05 12:05 pm - sweet home, OR
i just found this board. very interesting. i am three weeks or so from a revision for a failed vbg in 1988. a friend came up to oregon last friday and he challenged me to a contest. his strokes to a green i had to put into the hole for a buck a hole. i cleaned his wallet for 6 bucks. promised to give him a rematch after the surgery and the weight loss. the course here is really nice. i played to a 7 in my youth oh so long ago. really want to play again. thanks for your encouraging post dave
Most Active
Recent Topics
Support Group in PA
judytorre · 0 replies · 825 views
Edmonton Golf
Frenchie_1234 · 0 replies · 357 views
anybody watching the Masters?
olivija24 · 0 replies · 338 views
Got a new set of clubs!
Dave · 6 replies · 424 views