Daily Post 11/11

Vanishing Vixen
on 11/11/08 3:39 am - NJ
So I decided to start using the Daily Plate today.  WOW.  Talk about putting things into perspective.  It made me wonder how I'm supposed to follow my nut's plan, when even her sample menus go over her ratio.

Her plan was to eat 70% protein, 20% carb and 10% fat.  Today, my carbs almost equaled my protein.  It appears my apple really did my in, with 22g of carbs, and my protein shake was an added 15g.  Let me share the rest.

B: hardboiled egg and a lf stick of cheddar cheese
S: protein shake
L: 2% fage with PB2
S: almonds and an apple
D: peanut butter on WW whole wheat bread
S: soy crisps

Now here's my problem.  I'm on campus from 8 this morning until 10 tonight.  I need to have everything with me.  I thought this was a relatively healthy day, but now I'm not so sure.

So here's the (buried) question.  When you decide to cut back on carbs, do you ignore the ones that we need (like the protein shake) and cut back elsewhere (no apple for me)?  Even so, my protein shake would take up all if not more of that 20%. 

This is what I get for paying attention.

LOL

Highest: 315 ~ Surgery: 296 ~ Current: 177.8 ~ Goal: 165

JustJean
on 11/12/08 1:35 pm - Ontario, CA
RNY on 08/25/06 with
In my mind, I separate "good carbs" from "bad carbs"....   22g for an apple doesn't seem so bad, if you consider it a "good carb". 

Try a lower carb shake, though!  The Slim-Fast Lo-Carb is 6g, I think, and the Atkins (Mocha Latte - YUM!!) is like 2g...  

I'm not one to talk - I've been pigging out on birthday cake for the last three days - and believe me, those are definitely "BAD CARBS"!!!!

Sat on the loser's bench 8-25-06!! 
High 334/PreOp 275/Curr 168

Made it to goal, then gained again...  working back to goal of 155!! 

The Lord doesn't require us to succeed, He only requires that you try - Mother Teresa

vivk1010
on 11/14/08 12:19 am - Greeley, CO
I must admit that I havent been keeping an accurate record for a bit now, and maybe that explains the 2 month stall in my weightloss, I think I will start keeping track and see what I have been eating.
Vivienne

scrappergirl
on 11/14/08 5:22 am - Inland Empire, CA
When I log my food - I lose weight and Yes, I log everything. My shakes don't have carbs in them so I don't worry about that is the carbs in eggs, cheese and almonds.
Logging only works when you actually log and when you are absolutely honest with yourself.
Bekki        
sarah66
on 12/25/08 10:41 am - CT
RNY on 08/05/08 with
I don't think 70 percent protein/20 percent carb is a reasonable ratio at all, at least not for long term maintenance -- I have heard that we should get moderate carbs in the form of whole grains and fruits, not processed flour, white bread or pastas, or white rice, but brown rice, and whole grains are actually quite good for you in moderation.  I vote to keep the apples in there!  My NUT did say to stop protein shakes and get nutrition from food, because the shakes are too high in calories to be a regular part of the diet - I know different people have different advice about this, and it killed me to give up the protein ice cream, but it's working so far for me...

Most Active
Recent Topics
SURGERY ANNIVERY COMING UP.
danette56 · 0 replies · 404 views
Olive Kids
knightwolf · 0 replies · 654 views
Protein shakes?
pgrorud · 3 replies · 848 views
Free Recipes
Mariah · 0 replies · 534 views