What a pity

Ro R.
on 2/28/04 11:15 am - Northern, AL
What a pity this message board isn't used more. I love hiking - the most I've ever hiked is 18 miles in one day. It was an awesome experience and that was when I weighed my heaviest - unbelieveable! Can't wait for spring and summer - warmer weather - to start getting out of doors and getting my new hiking boots broken in. I love to go awandering... (singing this now).
Darlilly1313
on 3/12/04 7:54 am - WV
Ro,Its kinda weird too,like a ghost town.Where was it that you hiked 18 mls in one day ? The most i`ve ever done is 10.I live in appalacha, and I have a secret yearning to maybe someday walk the trail,Have you ever been on ,the appalachian trai? I have done a few miles,here and there, but no real official effort.Well good luck, Darleen W.
Ro R.
on 3/13/04 8:51 am - Northern, AL
Hey Darleen, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I walked 60 miles in 3 days as part of the Avon Breast Cancer fund-raisers. It was so incredible. First I had to raise $2,500.00 which was wild for someone like me (very much an introvert - had to step outside my comfort zone). Then I had to spend one year getting ready for the walk - increasing my distance each month, toughening my feet and strenghening my muscles. Bear in mind this was during my heaviest period of morbid obesity. Needless to say, I got checked out by my doctor thoroughly before trying this. We walked from Stone Mountain GA to Metro Atlanta. We slept in tents during the night. It was easily 12 hour walking days. I was able to do 18 the first day but only 6 miles the next day and maybe 10 miles the final day. It was all such an wonderful experience that I plan on doing it again when/if they head back to the South. I would love to tackle the Appalachian Trail someday. It is really a tough trail in many places. I would also like to hike a mountain like McKinley or Olympia. I may get to do Olympia this summer. Take care of yourself. Ro
Cookie G.
on 3/14/04 7:47 am - Aquone, NC
The appalachian trail runs about 1 mile from our house in the mountains in NC. We have been on the trail for a little bit but this year we plan to do much more hiking around here and in the Smoky Mountains. In the last few weeks since the weather has got better I've been walking more around the mountain, so I should be ready for a decent size hike soon. It is so great to feel like hiking we retired to this beautiful area and now I'm able to really enjoy. Let's everyone get out and hike this year!!
Darlilly1313
on 3/17/04 9:40 pm - WV
Cookie, I`m jealouse,First you live where its warmer that I do,second,1 mile from the trail! Where did you retire from? I am going to hike more this year too.Darleen W.
Rozee1
on 3/24/04 1:52 am - Warwick, RI
Hi, I wish this board was used more too. I am about 4 hrs from the Appalacian trail. NH is the closest spot for me to pick it up. I have hiked some of it but not too much. I have done most of my hiking in the mountains of Acadia National Park in ME. We just love it there. Hiking is one of the first things I want to start doing when some of this weight comes off. My surgery was just three weeks ago tomorrow. Because I live where the weather is cold, I also want to learn to snowshoe and cross country ski. I just can't wait!!
deserthoneybee
on 4/26/04 5:50 pm - Lancaster, CA
I too want to go hiking!! I live in the desert in CA (the ugly one, not the pretty one, LOL!) I've been poring over this Trek America brochure (see their website at www.trekamerica.com) They do all these great camping/hiking trips hroughout the US and Canada plus Mexico and Australia. I spent a day in Yellowstone last summer (passed through on a road trip) and I loved it. I can't wait to visit more of our national parks and do some serious hiking. And yes, the Appalachian Trail is a dream of mine. Maybe next summer...
Renee W.
on 5/22/04 2:05 am - Springfield, OR
I love in Oregon.. and there are alot of trails here that I want to hike.. including the pacific crest trail.. I cannot wait until I am thinner so I can hike..
Most Active
Recent Topics