Que Paso????

buenano
on 12/19/06 11:44 am - AUSTIN, TX
Hey everyone. I just found this board. I am not hispanic or latino but should have been, and I am married to a hispanic man for 12 years. Does that count??? I speak some spanish, and love the hispanic Latino culture. I really would like to make friends with those of you on this board. It is hard sometimes for people to relate to the foods issues, that you and I sometimes have. Like eating a Barbacoa taco tonight and really wanting it so bad, and then feeling like crap when you have eaten your 1/2 because you know you should not have eaten the double tortillas.. Or wanting to eat the rice, but thank god, I knew better. I am a support group leader here in Austin Texas and hope that maybe you guys will allow me to hang out with you. Hope to hear from someone... Vickie Buenano
Rachelq
on 12/19/06 11:51 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Vickie, I've been married to a New Zealander for 12 years...but I was a Raquel Chavez long before I became Rachel Quigley. So yes indeed, I can totally relate to the food. My sisters and I made tamales last week. I prepared the red chili chicken and pork...and yep...had to make myself a big ol burrito while stuffing the husks. Had a whole wheat tortilla though...ugggghhh...Wish me well on christmas eve when the smell of freshly steamed tamales are calling my name! Rachel
buenano
on 12/19/06 10:14 pm - AUSTIN, TX
Hey Rachael: Thanks for making me feel welcome... Tamales...... ummmm I went to San Antonio 2 weekends ago and stayed with friends... Hubby's are in a Christian Motorcycle group and we made tamales...... I actually did pretty good... I could only eat one at a time.... and only like 3-4 hours apart... You know how everyone eats on them all day long. They all laughed cause, I was full on 1, and they were eating them 6 at a time..... Oh well..... Gosh they were good though... Thanks again. Much love and loosing.
Linda H.
on 12/19/06 8:45 pm - FERRIS, TX
Welcome to the board Vickie I can so relate to the Barbacoa Taco, ssssooooo good... I'll usually have 1 taco and that is on Sundays at MOMs house... so its more like a treat...I haven't gotten sick on it...I just eat it very slowly and chew chew chew.. LOL...the food I miss the most is Menudo I'll take a teaspoon of the soup just to get the flavor but I really miss it the most..
buenano
on 12/19/06 10:24 pm - AUSTIN, TX
Thanks for the welcome Linda. Okay, I am going to show you how much I really love the Mexican, Latino food, and how Gringa I really am....DON'T YOU GUYS LAUGH!!!! So you make your menudo just like you normally do, seasoning's etc... But........instead of tripe....use stew meat, I get the chuck roast and cut it up really small...... REALLY SMALL... has the same taste, but different texture with the meat.... So I don't feel like I am missing out.... Hubby thought I lost my mind, but he actually likes it.... Yummmmm...So maybe I have a new Bariatric Recipe....wooohooo.
Suzanne S.
on 12/20/06 3:06 am - Livermore, CA
That's very similar to Pasole. I think you really have to grow up with menudo to really like it. I LOVE it. My neighbors make Pasole, very similar to menudo, but made with pork instead of tripe. My DH loves that, but won't touch tripe. Out here, you can find both in a can. They aren't bad and if you doctor them up, they are pretty good, but nothing like home made. That's one dish I never learned how to make, I just eat it when my aunt makes it. Care to share your Gringa recipe? Suzanne
buenano
on 12/20/06 4:09 am - AUSTIN, TX
I too love menudo, and for what it is worth, I make pasole too... My grandmother was cherokee and taught me how to make it and fry bread... I am the only one that carries on the tradition. send me your email and I will send you the recipe. Vickie
Suzanne S.
on 12/20/06 5:14 am - Livermore, CA
Show's you how much I know. I thought that the "meat" was the only difference between pasole and menudo. I'm trying to learn my mom's recipes so that I can carry on the traditions too. The problem is she is better at doing than teaching. We're going to be making tamales next week and I'm going to try and get the recipe down . My daughter just learned how to make her salsa, so that's one recipe that's been passed down. You just have to keep some of those things going. I would love to have both recipes. Thanks, Suzanne [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics