When can I ride?

lea2be
on 8/13/06 7:13 am - LaBelle, FL
Okay, I have my surgery on 8/29. But, I have been unable to ride for a LONG time--for more than one reason... 1) I was up to 410 pounds. No horse wants to haul around something that heavy if they can avoid it! 2) I have bad knees that make it hard to get on/off of my horse now. SO, here's the scenario! I am now down to 393!! I'm anxious for my surgery and to start really losing the pounds... I'm doing great now, but look forward to more rapid loss. My horse is a great horse. She's 3/4 Tennessee Walker and 1/4 Standardbred. She is almost 17 hands high (ugh, my poor knees!) and weighs about 1200 pounds. She is bred for a late March, early April foal next year. At what point will my weight be low enough to be more comfortable for her to carry? How much weight can she stand while she is pregnant? How far into her pregnancy is it safe for her to be rode (even by someone else who is lighter than me)?? How long after she foals must we wait to ride her again? I keep thinking that about the time my weight and health will allow me to ride again, she will be just about ready to be rode? The bad knee thing is not going to stop me. I've already decided to stand on my pickup's tailgate to get on and off of her! LOL We ride right around home and don't normally get off the horse while on a ride....just get off when we're done. So, fire away! Help me decide where my weight should be before I get back in the saddle and how long it will be before she will be up to riding after foaling... Hugs, Lea in WV
Jennifer Z.
on 8/28/06 7:20 am - Haslet, TX
Hey Lea - Congrats on your upcoming Surg tomorrow -- Good luck on it and we'll see you on the losing side. As far as riding - I actually rode my 1/2 Arab / 1/2 Saddlebred (16.1 H) 1200 lbs of MUSCLE at almost 300lbs... but I would probably not have wanted to ride at much heavier. But that's just my preference. I did not ride my purebred Arab (15H and 18yr and maybe 1000) that high. I am now at 242 and took my first lesson back on my big guy this weekend and was surprised how easy it was. As far as your mare -- I know NOTHING about riding mares and how late it's feasible. Sorry... But Good luck and I am sure the knees will improve after the surgery! You can always get a mounting block.
* Nicole *
on 8/29/06 9:35 pm
Hey Lea, Well I can probably help you out with this since we are/were very close in weight. When it comes to riding I really was back in the saddle around May (my surgery was also in Aug but 2005) I have a 1200lb 16.2HH 10yo Thorougbred Mare with some messed up legs from her years on the track. So I don't ride on her for too long, the longer rides are done by my 130lb sister, lol. Like you I also have awful knee problems, mainly from HS sports but the weight didnt help. But shockingly enough I can mount from the ground now with no one holding the saddle, and my left knee is worse than my right. But anyways I would say riding around May would be in your best interest not including it would work best for your mare also. Most rules of thumb on riding a pregnant mare is to stop around month 9. Mainly because thats when ALOT of growth by the foal happens. And alot of extra weight piles on straining the back. Hope this helps,hope surgery goes well, and feel free to talk with me since we were pretty much in the same boat riding wise and such. Nicole
KConner
on 9/17/06 6:58 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Lea, My name is Karen I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I just found this website tonight so I am brand new in here. Oh my gosh!! When I read your note it was MEEEEEEE!!! I had no idea when I found this site earlier tonight that I would find people in here sooo much like me. I am grateful I did, so now I know I truly am not alone in some of the ways I think and what my goal is for the future. In my younger thinner years (about 15 years ago) I used to break and train and also show horses. Back then horses were my life and my biggest love...to tell you the truth they still are although sadly enough currently I do not have one. I was envolved deeply in the horse show world, 4-H and helping the kids, giving riding lessons to kids. Currently I weigh aprox 365 pounds, also have bad knees, and am afraid I would squish a horse if I tried to ride one...or not be able to fit in the saddle at all. I do not have any way currently to even get the surgery so I am reaching out to try to learn all I can about what other people have done to get it. I do not have any insurance at all, and by far do not have the means to pay for the surgery in cash. Myt vredit is not great either as a bad divorce 3 years ago ruined that. So this is going to be an uphill battle. However my love for horses and the longing to one day be able to ride again is what is keeping me going on this painful search. I so desperately want to ride again. I would love to be able to talk to you and be email buddies. I would like to hear how you are doing or have done stage by stage. To answer your question about being able to ride your pregnant mare. I do agree with another person who wrote you, I would not ride her much past the 9 month mark. Exercising her is good, alot of on foot walking will keep her limber and her muscle tone good which will also help in delivery, but no stress weight on her back after that point. I wish you success in your surgery and the results there after. From one horse girl to another! I hope to back back up there again someday myself. If you know of anyone who has suggestions on better ways to get the surgery for someone in my position please let me know. Also just write and say hi sometime! Take Care Karen
horse_lover
on 12/23/06 1:43 pm - Queenstown, MD
Rule of thumb is that a horse can carry 1/3 of its weight. However, some say 20% is a safer bet. My 1100 pound Clydesdale/TB was having issues with my weight at 300. Three months after RNY I'm down to 260 and both he and I are much happier now. Good luck in your weight loss, and getting back into the saddle.
lea2be
on 12/24/06 7:24 am - LaBelle, FL
Hi ladies! I'm sorry it has taken me sooooooo long to reply to your posts! This last few months have been WILD for me and mine. I had my surgery on 8/29. Then, in October, I attended a conference in Chicago (I live in WV). In November, hubby was off-work and ill for 3 weeks. When he's only normally home every 10 to 12 days and then only for 3 or 4 days at a time, 3 weeks at home is almost enough to drive you out of what is left of your mind! Then, once he was back to work, Christmas was coming.... You all know what it is like! I appreciate all the feedback regarding me and my mare. She is already showing pretty well... She's due in March some time. I have dropped to 310 now (100 pounds gone forever!), but I think I'm still going to wait till late spring before I even consider riding her. In the meanwhile, my daughter (175 pounds) rides her and they love their time together... I'll get my chance soon enough and, since I'm waiting till spring, it won't be as hard on either of us! I've requested to add each of you to my friends list. I'd love the chance to chat more when we are all able! Hugs, Lea in WV
Most Active
Recent Topics
New to the Horse Forum
doloresd · 2 replies · 611 views
after a fall ?
chubbychic3 · 1 replies · 418 views
10 miles
eljayem · 2 replies · 449 views