How do you mount?

eljayem
on 6/21/09 11:40 pm
Although I'm not riding right now, I have a two step mounting block, which I've used since I went over 220.  Of course, I haven't ridden hardly at all in the last 4 years.  So my question is, will I ever mount comfortably from the ground again?  I have heard it isn't good for the horse, anyway, but maybe that's because people got so darn big. . .
Eljay

While the weight loss is easier with surgery, the lifestyle is harder.
* Nicole *
on 7/13/09 2:35 am
I've had no issues mounting from the ground with most horses. Only one I cant is my 14.3 HH arab gelding Because he is one of thoes ones who gets "pissy" if his hair gets rubbed around and with him being built like a 55 gallon drum it ALWAYS happens if you mount without a block. But yet I can mount my 16.1HH Thoroughbred mare without issue...wide as a tank but has wither to help keep the saddle in place.

The only time it is actually bad to the horse is if the horse doesn't know how to properly shift its weight during the mount.

But nothing wrong with using a mounting block. Just is a pain if out and trails and you have to dismount.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

eljayem
on 7/13/09 3:07 am, edited 7/13/09 3:07 am
Hmmm - I've been riding Arab and Arab crosses for 25 years.  Maybe that's why they fidget.  I always thought Arabs were just a little more aware of their surroundings than other breeds.  I can't wait to get a few more pounds off to really ride again.  I see you're 4 years out.  How much did you lose, and how much of a difference did it make?
Eljay

* Nicole *
on 7/15/09 11:56 pm
Yeah Arabs seem to be a bit more fidgety about it. My boy is so bad I also can only ride him in the Pro Pads from Schniders. But they are also more aware of their surroundings. Love the breed though, will probably be breeding my TB mare in 2011 for an Anglo Arabian foal. After alot of looking and time I found she is atleast 90% arabian blood as it is, so she will make a great arab cross.

As for loss im just shy of losing 200lbs from my highest weight. Its made a world of difference in everything I do, and wouldn't change it for nothing.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

eljayem
on 7/16/09 4:27 am
I am anxiously awaiting the time when I can ride endurance again.  I have a big Morab with a fast walk that will be perfect, as soon as I can be coordinated enough to get in the middle of her and stay there!
Eljay

Most Active
Recent Topics
New to the Horse Forum
doloresd · 2 replies · 615 views
after a fall ?
chubbychic3 · 1 replies · 418 views
10 miles
eljayem · 2 replies · 449 views