Where should I have WLS

Suzanne B.
on 5/11/11 11:51 am - OR
           The difference in where you have your surgery  

I have been doing a little information gathering in the past few days. I live in the state of Oregon and in the city of Eugene. I have discovered that they do NOT have anyone in my city to do WLS.                         

I spoke with someone who was going to have to drive to a smaller city than we live in to have her sleeve WLS. Then I was shocked when she said they are doing it as DAY SURGERY and the doctor wants her to go stay in a hotel close to the hospital once they release her from Day Surgery—just in case something goes wrong she can return to the hospital quickly. The doctors have only asked her to say in a hotel for one (1) night then she can come back home—about 60 miles away from where she had the surgery. I was SHOCKED to hear that she is going to receive so little care from the doctor or hospital.                           

This just reaffirms why I went to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. I was cared for so differently. I spent part of one day getting all my tests done—which I am sure in the US they do the same thing. I had the opportunity to see the hospital and I also saw how often and how much they cleaned just being there for 3 hours for the tests. I was given paper work to fill out the night before surgery (which they must have you do in Oregon). I met with a doctor the night before (he comes to the Hotel you are staying in) the doctor who explained the surgery and how it is done went into great detail and asked if I had any questions and then spent more time answering my questions. 

In the morning, I was assigned my very own nurse who was taking care of me—she got me ready for the surgery. That morning I saw the two surgeons, and the anesthesiologist, who again answered ALL my questions that I forgot to ask the night before. They explain exactly what they were going to do and what I would feel like when I woke up.  

They would have NEVER sent me to a hotel to recover. I spent 4 days and nights in the complete fully equipped hospital seeing two doctors 3 times a day. I was given a battery of test before they would consider sending me home. On the 5th day, I was driven to the San Diego Airport and I flew home. 

This is the kind of care you should EXPECT AND DEMAND if you are having this kind of surgery. You need to be doing your recovery in a HOSPITAL.
So the next time someone makes the comment to me about why would I go outside of the US for this kind of surgery this is EXACTLY WHY. When you want the best you do your research and find the best. That is just what I did.

Now I can’t speak for other doctors in the US or other hospitals, only what I learned while doing a bit of research here in Eugene, OR If you are having WLS PLEASE ask the doctors, the hospital and those involved what their care is like, and what they will be providing you during your WLS. 

YOU have the right to have the best care possible. You NEED to be your own advocate when it comes to your Health Care. NEVER SETTLE for anything less than the best when it comes to your health.

Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Most Active