united healthcare

Lolote
on 6/30/17 11:06 pm - AZ
VSG on 07/14/17

Hi guys,

Last year i tried to see if I could get approved for surgery. The suregons office called me back and told me that my insurance required 5 years of medical history showing obesity. Unfortunately, i have not gone to the doctor every single year. i dont have any medical issues other than knee and back problems, and some cholesterol.

I dont have the money to pay out of pocket (not even sure how much this would cost, but i'm guessing its more than 20K for the sleeve). so i just gave up....

its been on my mind again for weeks and decided to call a different surgeons office and have them check my insurance again. they called me back a few hours later to tell me that I was covered and to schedule the first appointment. I asked her what are the requirements from my insurance and she told me they want 6 months supervised diet.

Thinking this was kind of strange that the requirements changed, I decided to call my insurance and ask them myself. I was told that i was covered and when I asked what I need to provide, I was told that I would need to provide the medical records with payments. asking her to explain what that meant, she kept on saying "submit all the medical records provided bu you doctor with payment receipts"

I have no idea what that means... Does anyone? i might call again tomorrow or monday if they are closed tomorrow and try and get a better explanation. But just thought Id ask and see if someone might know what that means.

I have moved A LOT in the last 10 years (3 different states, 2 different countries, 6 or 7 moves total, so it is hard to keep track) and have seen a few doctors here and there, and have tried to contact the ones I could remember. One in 2015 had my correct weight, one in 2012 did not write my weight down... all it shows is that i came to see him that day, and he ordered some blood tests because i had not seen a doctor in a while. so yea.. that is really all i have right now. I saw a doctor in 2013 but it was at a walk in clinic, but I am not sure they keep a record or not, but will try to find out what the name is so i can call them..

If my insurance doesn't cover it because i need the 5 year history. is it legal for me to find a new insurance and sign up on my own that will accept and cover the surgery with less requirements? and if so, what is the best insurance to get that will cover it?

thank you so much!

PeggyEllis
on 3/8/18 10:21 pm

This is a very common situaion that you face while getting the insurance. You will need to submit all the medical records this, is mandatory for any insurance provider. You will have to show your medical bills, they need proof on paper. You can switch your insurance provider and get the additional info from experts, who can guide you perfectlyto get best plan with required coverage. The data of the insurance is maintained along with the claim history, it can be retrieved by the insurance providers.

Most Active