Let's talk about vitamins ... Calcium

Candle
on 1/22/08 12:53 am - Long Island, NY

I just started talking calcium. Citracal Creamy Bites. I know it's important to get Calcium Citrate and not carbonate but why? The Citrate is easier to absorb? I also know not to take them with my multi-vitamin & B-12 but how far apart should I take it? Any other vitamins not to take together? What do you take?

10cc APS band. 
Placed w/ .5cc's.
Fills: 11/5/07 ... 2cc's & 6/15/10 ... 1.5cc's & 3/25/11 .... 1 cc

H311/S295/G175/  C164

StellaBlue
on 1/22/08 12:59 am - NW, OR
Good Q, I"ve wondered what the difference is between citrate and carbonate also.  I take my multi in the morning and calcium at night.  I've read that  you shouldn't take it while you're drinking coffee...won't absorb.

Katherine

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/08 1:04 am - Brockton, MA

hijack! Katherine, love the new avatar, what a knockout!

StellaBlue
on 1/22/08 1:07 am - NW, OR
Thank you Pam!Lookin hott yourself!

Katherine

DramaQueenz
on 1/22/08 1:02 am - Patriots Nation, MA
Calcium carbonate is the main ingredient in TUMS, which is taken as an antacid. Calcium carbonate will neutralize the acid in your stomach. Since you need an acidic environment to absorb calcium, if you take calcium carbonate, it will not be absorbed. You also need an acidic environment to absorb vitamin D, which is essential for the uptake of calcium into the bones. So, by taking calcium carbonate, you don't absorb the calcium and you do not absorb vitamin D. This will prove to be detrimental to your health in the long term. Calcium citrate is better because it does not neutralize the acid in your stomach. It is more easily absorbed and doesn't interfere with the absorbtion of vitamin D. Calcium citrate is absorbed easier by the body.

StellaBlue
on 1/22/08 1:08 am - NW, OR
aha, acidity--makes sense, thank you Colie...

Katherine

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/08 1:03 am - Brockton, MA
Hi Candle, I use the creamy bites also, my Nut says to wait a few hours after the multi-vitamin. The calcium citrate not only has better absorption but I get terrible gassy cramps from the calcium carbonate form so that is a plus for me. I don't know of any others not to mix. Are you having a hard time finding the creamy bites? It seems like all the pharmacies near me are discontinuing them, think I'm going to have to resort to CVS on line and pay the shipping costs. My favorite flavor is the caramel.
Ann M.
on 1/22/08 1:11 am
I'm glad you posted this.  I've been taking all my vitamins in the evening before bed.  I didn't hear that they should be spread out.
Ann Marie

Candle
on 1/22/08 1:12 am, edited 1/22/08 1:13 am - Long Island, NY

Thanks guys!! Very informative. I've been taking the Creamy Bites at night and my multi-vitamin in the a.m. (I don't drink coffee) I wasn't sure how far apart to take them. 2 hours? 12 hours? I found the Creamy Bites on CVS.COM too. I looked everywhere! Not sure if this is their regular special but I got free shipping for spending over $30.00 and a $5.00 off coupon. I took a leap of faith that the Creamy Bites would be good. I bought 4 boxes - lol! (2 Choc and 2 Caramel - both are YUMMY) It seems like 90% of the Calcium Supplements in stores are CARBONATE - what a rip off!!

10cc APS band. 
Placed w/ .5cc's.

H311/S295/G175/  C164

Candle
on 1/22/08 1:18 am - Long Island, NY

DramaQueenz - *knock on wood* I haven't had any GERD issues lately but it sounds like if someone was taking Priolsec or something similar, they should take that separate from a Calcium Supplement as well? Good to know!!

10cc APS band. 
Placed w/ .5cc's.

H311/S295/G175/  C164

Most Active