Band Removed - No longer a bandster

Jennifer G.
on 4/21/08 3:34 am - North Saint Paul, MN

After having a new band placed 3.5 months ago and 3 slips between the two bands, I had to have emergency surgery Tuesday night to have my band removed.  I has having severe abdominal pain and wasn't able to eat or drink.  My surgeon went into surgery hoping to save the band.  However, the severe slip I had earlier in the day as documented by another upper GI had unbelievably repaired itself.  My band was back in perfect position with no sutures broken.  They couldn't figure out why it keeps slipping because it was back in place.  After all the troubles I've had in the last year, they decided to take it out because they couldn't find any reason for it to keep slipping and it would likely again.   What's the next step?  Well, I don't want gastric bypass and my surgeon doesn't do the sleeve.  But, my surgeon is consulting with another local hospital that does do the sleeve and see if they will take me on.  My insurance doesn't cover it, so that will be the next hurdle. I just wanted to keep you all informed because I have been a bandster for almost 3 years and found this community very helpful.  I'm sad that I no longer have the band, but my body was just rejecting it.  I believe my inital slip is what caused all of this because it wasn't diagnosed for a very long time because I didn't have common symptoms and it caused a deep ridge on the back of my stomach.  I think that has caused all subsequent slips.   Good luck to all of you and keep up the good work.  The band really works.  It helped me get off 117 lbs and I gained back 16 of those in the last year due to all these slips and 3 band surgeries.  So, regardless, I've still lost over 100 lbs due to the band.  I call that a victory.

Banded 7/27/05  (338 highest/310 surgery/193 lowest)
Revision to RNY 10/3/08 (251 at pre-op RNY appt, 238 day of Surgery)

sweethinkr
on 4/21/08 3:43 am - klamath falls, OR
I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this. It is refreshing to see that you aren't feeling doomed and that you're trying to put a positive light on the situation, as hard as it is. I wish you the best on your journey and do please keep in touch when you can!
rabid24
on 4/21/08 3:45 am
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your band. You've done an awesome job with it despite all the troubles you've had. I just wanted to wish you luck on whatever may be in store for you!

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

CElizabeth
on 4/21/08 3:48 am
VSG on 11/10/16
My condolences to you.  I really hope everything works out well for u.  This is very sad.  I hope your future looks pain free and brighter than your past year.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

orchidsprite
on 4/21/08 3:49 am - indian orchard, MA
Ahh Jenn ~ You are one trooper....you gave it your all.  I am sooo sorry they had to remove it all together.  What a positive attitude you have!  I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide...and by the way...you are a success...you look HOT! Good Luck to you!
Katie (KiKi)
310start/175goal/159current
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/08 3:58 am - Northern, VA
Lap Band on 09/30/05 with
Jen, I am so sorry you had to go through all of this with your band. You have been a trooper through all of your band slips. You are SO beautiful and deserve to be healthy. I wish you the best in which ever road you take, whether it be, jenny craig or weigh****chers or revision to the sleeve.

My band has been pretty stable these couple of months, sometimes tight and sometimes loose, I don't think I want ANY more fills, I need to learn how to maintain and if I lose anymore weight it will be from sweat at the gym, I don't want to depend on my band so much at this point, coz you never know if something will happen, and I KNOW I will not get another weight loss surgery, this is IT for me.

Again, I am so sorry, you are such as sweet person and I wish you well.

N.
Kris M.
on 4/21/08 4:07 am - Near Dallas, TX
You're WRONG missy....once a bandster ALWAYS a bandster!!  You are part of this family so don't be a stranger!!  Keep us posted by continuing to post!
Kris M.   Ignorance is bliss...but not when you're aware of it!!

Joyce65
on 4/21/08 4:12 am - Clovis, CA
I am sorry to hear that you had to have your band removed.  While it is a big change, the most important thing is your health.  I just had my band repositioned on Saturday and hope that I won't have to go through it again.  Although I am sorry that you are no longer "with band" I am still very motivated and encouraged by your weight loss.  While gaining is never good but only 16 pounds in a year is not that bad (when my band slipped, I gained about 15 pounds in a few months). All the best to you...
"When the POWER of LOVE is greater than the love of power,
then the world will have peace"
1st surgery/2nd surgery/current/goal     
245/228/194/175
October 19, 2008 Nike Women's Half Marathon *completed*
November 9, 2008 Trail of Two Cities Half Marathon *completed*
May 2, 2009 End of Trail Half Marathon *completed*
May 31, 2009 San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon *completed*
Angelique J.
on 4/21/08 4:19 am - Allentown, PA
For someone who has had it so rough you have an amazing attitude. I wish you all the best and don't be a stranger.

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Dev *.
on 4/21/08 4:37 am - Austin, TX
You're still a bandster and I hope we can all continue to support you through this part of your journey AND benefit from all your knowledge and experience. Just because your band is gone, doesn't mean you should be!

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Most Active