nurse was so rude!

karrie P.
on 9/5/08 1:35 am - centerville, IN
I had the lap band placed in april and I have only had one fill of .5cc in June. My next one was scheduled for Sept 25th. I called to see if I could move it up because I really have lost all the restriction I had.  I was explaining this to the nurse and I said I could still eat things like bread and it would go down easy. She said, " Well just dont eat those things then."  My response was,"well if it was that easy I guess I wouldnt have needed surgery !".   I just thought that was really rude considering she has been the nurse of a wls doctor for 7 years. OOOh that made me mad!  I mean I fill of .5cc in 5 months is not that much.

highest/pre-op/current/goal
241/237/203/160

malia26
on 9/5/08 1:47 am - WI
I'm sorry she said that!  It's so easy to say it, but it's a whole different story to do it.  She probably didn't mean to get you mad but was trying to lead you in the right direction.  I think she said it because we are supposed to try to avoid those foods (even when we are able to eat them) because our diets are supposed to be focused on mainly protein.  Are you eating solid proteins?  So did she give you a sooner appt?  JUst call the scheduler and ask for one maybe?

169 155   
current/goal 

High: 281, Band removed:180,
Sleeved: 215

Kristi H.
on 9/5/08 2:05 am - E Wenatchee, WA
That's not much of a fill level in that amount of time. And 3 wks to wait for the next one is a long time when you are stuggleing. It's easy and insensitive for ppl to say things like that when they haven't had WLS themselves. yes, rude! And you are right, why would we have this surgery if we could do it on our own. The reason for the band is to have fills and get "RESTRICTION"! Some dr's and nurses just arn't sensitive to this, i'm sorry. I would bug them till they give you the fill. But i'm pretty persistant at times when i want something. Good luckI hope you get your fill soon.

What ever the LORD brings you to, HE will bring you thru.....
FILL'S  1st 5-30 2cc's   2nd 7-10 4cc's  3rd 9-16 1cc 4th 11-22 1.4cc
C J
on 9/5/08 3:34 am, edited 9/5/08 3:35 am - , TN

Rude is right...you know your body, and they should listen to what you have to say...I had my band June 5th and I currently have 7.1cc's in my band...I know all docs are different, but 0.5 seems like a rediculously small amount for that time span...

ETA:  I have a 10cc band...

Living > Existing

256/231/135

LaraNicole
on 9/5/08 4:16 am - Pflugerville, TX
IMHO, they should be having you come in every 4-6 weeks to weigh you and to talk about your progress whether you need a fill or not.  This way they will have a better understanding of how to support you through your weighloss effort.  I am sorry that this has happened to you.
   Marlee_Page_12-1.jpg picture by LaraNicole strainedcarrots-1.jpg picture by LaraNicole
Miss Marlee Marie 

Hislady
on 9/5/08 5:25 am - Vancouver, WA
The rude nurse doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they aren't helping you with fills! Usually by now you would have had at least 2-3 fills of about 3-5 ccs. At his rate you'll take forever to get restriction. All docs vary but this is terrribly slow. My first fill was at 6 weeks and I got 2ccs (he usually does 3 but I still felt some restriction from surgery) then every 4-6 weeks I got another 1 cc till this spring when my last fill gave me a total of 5 ccs. That has lasted until a couple of weeks ago when I started getting hungry again so I have an appointment for another fill at the end of month. I think a good surgeon works WITH you on fills not dictates when and how much, unless you are being unrealistic. I really hope they get more cooperative for your sake or it's going to get frustrating for you. Best of luck!
Most Active