*sigh* I may have a leak....

LoriPA
on 9/5/08 6:12 am - McKeesport, PA
So today was the usual eight week visit, which, given past history over the last nearly 18 months, usually go without incident. Not today.

Since my last fill on July 11, I had times I had been RAVENOUS, not just hungry, and today I found out why.  I should have known something was up when they weren't pulling much fluid out of the band (as their procedure before they do a new fill as to not overfill it) and not much came out in the syringe. 

Question is, where did 2.5 cc's of fluid go in a little less than eight weeks??????

So the one thing they suspect is a leak; nevertheless, I got a 1.5 cc fill today and have to go back in four weeks instead of eight. If there is little or no restriction then, I am being sent for an upper GI, and if a leak IS found....you guessed it, the band has to be replaced.

I'm holding out this fill gives me restriction.

My three year band-niversary is March 22, 2010!

Hislady
on 9/5/08 6:21 am - Vancouver, WA
Here's hoping it is nothing serious! Even so I think I read where most leaks happen around the port area so maybe you'll just need a new port which is a much quicker and easier procedure. Good luck!
Julie85
on 9/5/08 6:30 am - NY
Lap Band on 06/11/07 with
Your post has me a bit confused (this coming from someone who has a leak AND a slip with the AP band that's meant to lessen slip risk). I don't get how an upper GI would show a leak. From what I hear they do a dye test on that after you are missing fluid a few fills in a row. It's possible to lose fluid once without a leak (I lost fluid four times in a row, 4cc once, and still retained later fills). Also, if you have a leak you only need a port replacement most likely, not a band replacement. Good luck!

LoriPA
on 9/5/08 7:05 am, edited 9/5/08 7:06 am - McKeesport, PA
I'm not going to jump the gun yet; I have four weeks, and got 1.5 cc's back in today. And if it is the port that needs replaced, that's an outpatient procedure here and I can be back home the same day. So far, so good, though; I just ate a cup of mushy stuff and am full. Keeping fingers crossed!

PS: They would have to do the GI on me because I am allergic to the dye they use in the dye tests.

My three year band-niversary is March 22, 2010!

LaraNicole
on 9/5/08 8:07 am, edited 9/5/08 8:32 am - Pflugerville, TX
Hey Lori, after three years I was stabbed a little too rough during a fill and well poof I developed a leak too.  Luckily I was able to have flouro done the next week although the could not see the leak the first time with the dye so they filled me up and had me come back in a few hours and I had 2 ccs missing...yup there was a leak.  The port replacement was not bad though and I it's been a month now so I am due for a fill, but I am a bit needle shy...ugh.  I knew something was wrong too because I only had 1.8cc in me and she was telling me I can't get any in it's so tight ...um you are on the edge digging a hole in me.
   Marlee_Page_12-1.jpg picture by LaraNicole strainedcarrots-1.jpg picture by LaraNicole
Miss Marlee Marie 

Most Active