What does a slip or erosion feel like?

marthabo
on 4/7/09 10:04 pm - Holland, MI
Has anyone been through a slip or an erosion and what does it feel like? 

I am so worried that something has happened.  I might just need a fill, but I suddenly have no restriction at all whatsoever. 

Am seeing my surgeon tomorrow for a fill, but am worried something else might have happened  I feel fine, just no restriction..

It has been two years, 78 lbs down, about 15 to go since I got banded. 
I have had my share of over eating, vomiting, until I finally got it right...I hope this hasn't completely messed me up.  ( my surgeon has never had a slip)...

Anyone had this happen ?  I just need to settle my worry!

Martha in Michigan
melly37
on 4/7/09 11:39 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Just from what I have read, I think most of the time when there is a slip you aren't able to eat or drink anything.  The lower part of the stomach comes up through the band causing severe blockage.  Hopefully everything is fine, maybe you finally lost all of your fat pad around your stomach! 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Shelley M
on 4/7/09 11:59 pm - South Haven, MI
Who is your surgeon.  I have Dr. Schram there in Holland. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/09 12:00 am - Northern, VA
Lap Band on 09/30/05 with
Well.. if the band has truly slipped you not abe be able to tolerate any food or liquids or your own spit.

Mild slips are basically pouch dilations and this is when MOST do not feel ANY restriction, if left untreated mild slips eventually progress to FULL slips where you will have pain and total food obstruction.

Also... vomiting frequently on a too tight band causes pouch dilation...it stretches it if done daily....

If caught in time pouch dilations are about 70 percent treatable with a FULL UNFILL and rest period of about 6 weeks, this resets the pouch to normal and fills are gradually started again after 6 weeks and monitored closely and to ensure the pouch completely heals fills are given in small amounts over several months time. This is the ONLY TIME SMALL SLIPS ARE HEALED COMPLETELY.

If the pouch gets too big it typically progress to a full band slip and hangs over the band, tilting it out of position and UNFILLS DO NOT WORK at this point, only surgery will fix the band or it has to be removed if reflux or frequent vomiting occurs.

With band erosion, you will have sudden loss of restriction as well, because the band penetrates and migrate through the stomach wall and with all band erosions the band MUST be removed.

Also loss of restriction could also mean you have a leak in your port..so you may want to have your port checked for a leak and band checked for pouch dilation, an Upper GI should tell you the status of your band.

Good luck

Jean B.
on 4/8/09 2:01 am - St. Paul, MN
Another possibility is a leak in the tubing - it happened to me this past January. I suddenly lost all sense of restriction and when my surgeon went in to replace the port, he actually found a leak in the tubing about 10 cm's from the port. He replaced the port anyway and was able to cut out the bad spot in the tubing and hook it up to the new port. A simple, one-day surgery. So, check with your doc. Hope all works out well.
Jean B.

267/237/171/149      1st nurse's visit/surgery/current/goal
down 66 lbs. since surgery; 96 lbs. total

Most Active