Not just a swing...

kaniky
on 4/21/09 1:19 am
RNY on 05/18/15
swing.jpg picture by MissySauter 

I think it's been about seventeen years now since I was able to fit into a swing.  Truth is, I never bothered trying for at least fifteen years.  When you weigh over 300 pounds, there's really no need to try.  It's simply not going to work.  Over the years I have looked at swings and been disappointed knowing that the days of the wind blowing through my hair as I pumped my legs higher and higher were over. 

I no longer weigh over 300 pounds. I am almost "normal" now or what society considers normal. Seat belts on airplanes are no longer a problem. I don't have to worry about whether or not I will fit in a booth at a restaurant. I am even able to ride any roller coaster I want without fear of being embarrassed that I am too big to fit. 

Yesterday as I was walking, I noticed an empty swing. I looked at it closely as I walked by, thinking "well, maybe". I just kept walking. As I got further away, I asked myself – what would it hurt to try? But trying could mean failure and I don't just mean not being able to fit in that swing. Not fitting in the swing would only confirm what I've thought about myself for years. Failure as a mom because I was too big to play with my children. Failure as I wife because I've felt that my husband is embarrassed to be seen with me. Failure as a daughter because there was the probability that I would die before them because of my obesity. Failing myself. Putting myself last and never finding the time I deserve. 

I found that time yesterday. I turned back around and went back to that swing. Without a moments hesitation sat down and started to pump my legs. The swing was meant for a child, so my toes dragged some, but that didn't matter a bit. The wind still blew through my hair and I closed my eyes and cried quietly. If only for that moment in time, I am young again and everything this world has to offer is still ahead of me. 

I am a participant in my life. I race my children home after days playing outside. I stand taller and more proud next to my handsome husband who seems to hold my hand a little tighter these days. I take flowers to my parents and call just to let them know I am here for them. Most importantly, I take time for me. I read more often. I take bubble baths. I let others know when I need help and I let them do it. 

You see it's not just a swing. It's my life - filled with the highs and lows and everything in between. Now that I have felt the wind in my hair again, I can never go back. I must continue going forward to greet my new life with my arms open wide and be as kind and gentle to myself as I would with others. There will be other opportunities and challenges in my life. I hope that I'll take chances to go above and beyond what I expect of myself. I can hardly wait to see where my next swing may be hiding!

April 21, 2009

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

pineview01
on 4/21/09 1:24 am - Davison, MI
GREAT post!  You made me cry

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

kaniky
on 4/21/09 1:56 am
RNY on 05/18/15
I am a scrapbooker and plan on making a page with this photo and journaling.
Missy

ordiefam
on 4/21/09 2:04 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Great post!  thank you for sharing you thoughts and feelings with us.  I am really happy for you:)
Take care and God Bless

andreagintheoc
on 4/21/09 2:13 am - Orange County, CA
awww I love this- thank you for sharing- what a great post!
xoxo  Andrea                                                                                                                                                                                               
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.  They must be felt with the heart." -Helen Keller

Bamagirl1
on 4/21/09 2:37 am - AL
  Thanks for the good cry this morning.....I need one every now and then.  You are such an inspiration!
Patsi

kaniky
on 4/21/09 2:38 am
RNY on 05/18/15
On April 21, 2009 at 9:37 AM Pacific Time, Bamagirl1 wrote:
  Thanks for the good cry this morning.....I need one every now and then.  You are such an inspiration!
Thank you.  That really means a lot to me!

Missy

Amanda T.
on 4/21/09 3:05 am - WA
Yikes- I'm not supposed to cry at work lol. Great post! I'm very proud of you! you are a BIG INSPIRATION!

Amanda 
"impossible is nothing"

Lisa O.
on 4/21/09 3:13 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Now that's the Kaniky I know and love!
Thank you for the inspiration!  I'm going to find a swing this weekend!
Here's to you K!
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Jean B.
on 4/21/09 4:52 am - St. Paul, MN
That is beautiful!!
Jean B.

267/237/171/149      1st nurse's visit/surgery/current/goal
down 66 lbs. since surgery; 96 lbs. total

Most Active