Port Leak

melbasue
on 5/15/09 1:22 am - Lawrenceburg, TN
2 weeks ago i went back to see my surgeon because all of a sudden after I had a recent fill I had no restriction whatsoever. The nurse inserted the needle to draw out the saline to see how much I had and the band was empty. She refilled it with a thicker saline to see it that would stop the leak if there was one. Last week I had plenty of restriction but this week I can tell that I do Not. She said that if this didn't work then I probably would have to have my port replaced. Has anyone had this done and what will happen if they have to do this? I'm not excited about having another surgery.  I would appreciate it  if someone could give me some information. Thanks
wattscpa1
on 5/15/09 1:33 am

Just got banded so I have no clue, but I am very sorry to hear you may be having that problem.  I would not want to think about having surgery again either. 

Hope things work out!!!

Sabrina
1st fill 6/29/09 2cc, 2nd 8/30/09 2 cc
Starting W 302, Surgery W 289, Current W 254, Goal 170

OhJoy706
on 5/15/09 1:41 am - Brunswick, GA
Someone in my support group had this happen too.  He did have another surgery to replace the port but it was only the port and tubing and he said it was much much less of a surgery than the original lap band.  For his doc it  was "outpatient" so he was home in a few hours. 

Good luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/09 3:58 am - AZ
On May 15, 2009 at 8:22 AM Pacific Time, melbasue wrote:
2 weeks ago i went back to see my surgeon because all of a sudden after I had a recent fill I had no restriction whatsoever. The nurse inserted the needle to draw out the saline to see how much I had and the band was empty. She refilled it with a thicker saline to see it that would stop the leak if there was one. Last week I had plenty of restriction but this week I can tell that I do Not. She said that if this didn't work then I probably would have to have my port replaced. Has anyone had this done and what will happen if they have to do this? I'm not excited about having another surgery.  I would appreciate it  if someone could give me some information. Thanks

How does she know it is a port leak?  Are they using Huber needles?  If they are, there shouldn't be a leak.  If they are using the wrong needles and you have a port leak it voids your band warranty.

It could be a leak in the port,
It could be a leak in the tubing if they are doing blind fills and poked a hole through the tubing,
It could be the tubing is disconnected from the band,
It could be the tubing is disconneced from the port,
It could be erosion and stomach acid eating the plastic diaphragm of the band,
It could be a leak in the band itself.

The only way to determine which one it is, is to get a fluoro exam.

Jean B.
on 5/15/09 5:25 am - St. Paul, MN
I had a leak in January. My surgeon thought it was probably at the port, but when he got in there, he discovered it was actually in the tubing about 10 cm's from the port. He thinks maybe there was a kink in the tubing or maybe the tubing rubbed against a rib. Anyway, it was a simple out-patient surgery and I went back to work the next day. And now everything is just as it was. Expensive though - glad it was covered by insurance. By the way, there is no warranty on the band according to Allergan.
Jean B.

267/237/171/149      1st nurse's visit/surgery/current/goal
down 66 lbs. since surgery; 96 lbs. total

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/09 3:24 pm - AZ
On May 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM Pacific Time, Jean B. wrote:
I had a leak in January. My surgeon thought it was probably at the port, but when he got in there, he discovered it was actually in the tubing about 10 cm's from the port. He thinks maybe there was a kink in the tubing or maybe the tubing rubbed against a rib. Anyway, it was a simple out-patient surgery and I went back to work the next day. And now everything is just as it was. Expensive though - glad it was covered by insurance. By the way, there is no warranty on the band according to Allergan.
Jean B.

The warranty... it's right in my band book that came in the box with the band.

It pretty much lists what voids it and that is just about everything.

camiller
on 5/16/09 1:50 pm
I had my port removed yesterday due to painful scar tissue.  They placed a new port on the opposite side (now on the right side).  The surgery took only 30 minutes and was nothing like the original banding surgery.  I hope all goes well with you.
Cheryl
Most Active