Saw WLS therapist

pepsi98
on 2/2/10 6:36 pm - Norwich, CT
Well, I didn't get my last fill but I will certainly go on the 11th.  She said that I was so insightful that I was probably 10 sessions ahead already.  The long and short of it is that I am oppositional and compulsive.  I never really thought of overeating as compulsive, but there you are.  My problem seems to be that I just DO NOT want to follow rules and be "told" what to do.  I want to do it MY way even though MY way has never worked in the past nor does it work now.

What I need to do is decide if I am willing to "follow the rules" and "do the work".  When I asked her what "the work" was, she said it is whatever strategies or things I need to do in order to get to my goal.  "The work" seems like it varies from person to person.  For her "the work" is brushing her teeth and closing the kitchen down after dinner.  This woman had me pinned from the git go and I know that this is exactly what I need.  I have already had gastric stapling in the 80's and a band over bypass in 12/08...how many surgeries will it take before I finally realize that this is something that I need to "work" on every day.

Even though this was just my first session, I already feel energized to "follow the rules" today.  I want to do the "work" because I do want to lose weight and nothing else has worked or will work unless and until I am ready to make major changes and commit myself to the process.  She told me it takes 27 days to make a habit, so I am going to make some new habits.  I would recommend therapy with someone who specializes in weight for any of us, simply because there are more isssues than physically restricting the amount of food we can eat.  I am going to choose to work "with" my band and stop fighting it.

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Cauline
on 2/2/10 7:10 pm
Hi Sue,

Thanks for sharing this.  As the quip goes, "I resemble that remark."  I always thought of myself as a rebel, but I didn't think of it in terms of being oppositional and compulsive, or how being rebellious can be bad.  I sense that she and you are 100% correct.  It's funny, 27 days seems like a long time to commit to a new process, yet the days rush by and here we still stand.  I hope you'll keep sharing the insights that you gain, and wish you renewed dedication and confidence.  We CAN do this.

Lost 43 pre-op, 47 post-op, gained back 75, and now lost 45 thanks to r/keto                                                     

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience by which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

deb_t
on 2/2/10 7:12 pm - RI
I'm glad this turned into a good experience for you.  Hoping it's the start of something big!!
Debbie 

Includes 47.5 lbs. lost during 7 month pre-op period
pepsi98
on 2/2/10 7:32 pm - Norwich, CT
Thank you both.  I will keep posting about this process, I promise, because some of us just struggle with ourselves and I think if I can share my experiences and insights, it can be helpful to some.

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

MrsSmith50009
on 2/2/10 8:22 pm
Sounds like a very productive first session and that the therapist was very insightful.  Thank you for sharing this, as I know there are lessons for all of us here!

Jean B.
on 2/3/10 12:15 am - St. Paul, MN
Oh wow!!! That's me - oppositional and compulsive. And I hate being told what to do! Hmmmmmm......you've given me something to think about here. Please keep sharing!
Jean B.

267/237/171/149      1st nurse's visit/surgery/current/goal
down 66 lbs. since surgery; 96 lbs. total

Jean M.
on 2/3/10 12:16 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Sue,

That's great.  A good therapist, a good first session, a good start to making positive changes.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

pepsi98
on 2/3/10 7:50 am - Norwich, CT
On February 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM Pacific Time, Jean M. wrote:
Sue,

That's great.  A good therapist, a good first session, a good start to making positive changes.

Jean
Thank you so much Jean...I really want to succeed and just need to do what I know I have to do.

Sue

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/10 12:30 am
That was very insightful and describes me as well.  I was reading this book about church life but a quote in it struck a cord in me about my WL journey...it goes, " you had two desires that conflicted with one another"  ...pretty simple statement, for me I want to be thin but I also want to eat what, when and however much I want.   Well this just doesn't work.  I have to REALLY make the choice I can't have both, which do I want most.

Thanks so much for sharing your session with us, I can't personally afford counseling right now, so I will take all the freebies I can get.

May God bless your efforts 100 fold.

Marcy
pepsi98
on 2/3/10 7:52 am - Norwich, CT
On February 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, limey7 wrote:
That was very insightful and describes me as well.  I was reading this book about church life but a quote in it struck a cord in me about my WL journey...it goes, " you had two desires that conflicted with one another"  ...pretty simple statement, for me I want to be thin but I also want to eat what, when and however much I want.   Well this just doesn't work.  I have to REALLY make the choice I can't have both, which do I want most.

Thanks so much for sharing your session with us, I can't personally afford counseling right now, so I will take all the freebies I can get.

May God bless your efforts 100 fold.

Marcy
Thank you so much for that Marcy...I WILL be sharing everything possible I promise!  I figure if we can have that spirit of sharing our struggles and our success it covers ALL of us!!

Most Active