Plain stupidity and a little ashamed of telling you

Evelyn M.
on 3/23/11 9:23 pm - United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was thinking all night if I should tell you this because I kind of blame myself for it, but I think for the "newer" bandsters this might be a good story:
So I am almost 3 weeks post op and in the soft food phase. One of the examples for soft food the hospital gave me was risotto, so I made mushroom risotto yesterday evening.
If you have risotto recommended in your soft food phase, please, please think twice and be extremely careful when you eat it. I made a normal risotto, obviously I made it with whine...I think you all know where this leads to..I ate it, everything was fine, and one hour later I started sufferin, BIG TIME! I am not sure if it was the risotto itself or the fact that I used alcohol as an ingredient, but I just felt plain sick. Then it got a little better. Then it was worse. Luckily I fell alseep at some point, but at 3am I ran to the toilet. I did not throw up ( even though I think I would have been better afterwards), but I had diarrohea and kept feeling sick. Still don't feel well and I had dinner over 16 hours ago :(((
So just as a tip from me: If this is in your soft food phase-plan, be super careful!
Evelyn
Roll on weight loss!

Nazran
on 3/23/11 10:53 pm
I didn't attempt a meal that had a large amount of rice until about 3 months post op. Bad experience. I was still taking too big of bites back then though....  Now it doesnt bother me, because I know how to eat it.
Bette B.
on 3/23/11 10:58 pm
 I'm surprised that they allowed risotto! Rice can be dicey ANYTIME, much less in the post-op diet stages!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

PaintingChef
on 3/24/11 12:02 am, edited 3/24/11 12:03 am - TN
It was the risotto, DEFINITELY not the wine.  When you cook with wine, all the alcohol cooks out and it's just a flavoring, nothing more (although MAGICALLY delicious).  I flavored my first first post-op soups with wine, never had any problems.

But risotto is hard, I have a terrible time with rice and pasta, even now and I'm about 2 months post-op.  At 3 weeks out, you should probably still be eating softer foods.  Yes, risotto seems soft but I'm REALLY surprised that they said it was alright.  It's technically just rice, something lots of band patients are not ever able to tolerate well.
My blog:  PaintingChef

Stephanie M.
on 3/24/11 1:49 am
I think she was drinking the wine while she cooked which made her eat more than she should???

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

PaintingChef
on 3/24/11 1:57 am - TN
I'm pretty sure she said she used it as an ingredient.  But you are definitely right about drinking, it  always makes me munch on snacks.  Not good at all.  If we go out with friends, I'll usually have a glass of wine before dinner but that's about it.  (Makes me so sad)
My blog:  PaintingChef

Kate -True Brit
on 3/24/11 12:50 am - UK

I am very surprised a post-op diet included rice. it is a food that many of us find difficult, even when we are experienced with our bands.

But diarrohea is unlikely to be cause by anything band related. The food is processed and digested below the band and below the band there is nothing different about our anatomy.
Could you have had mild food poisoning?

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Stephanie M.
on 3/24/11 1:47 am
On March 24, 2011 at 4:23 AM Pacific Time, Evelyn M. wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking all night if I should tell you this because I kind of blame myself for it, but I think for the "newer" bandsters this might be a good story:
So I am almost 3 weeks post op and in the soft food phase. One of the examples for soft food the hospital gave me was risotto, so I made mushroom risotto yesterday evening.
If you have risotto recommended in your soft food phase, please, please think twice and be extremely careful when you eat it. I made a normal risotto, obviously I made it with whine...I think you all know where this leads to..I ate it, everything was fine, and one hour later I started sufferin, BIG TIME! I am not sure if it was the risotto itself or the fact that I used alcohol as an ingredient, but I just felt plain sick. Then it got a little better. Then it was worse. Luckily I fell alseep at some point, but at 3am I ran to the toilet. I did not throw up ( even though I think I would have been better afterwards), but I had diarrohea and kept feeling sick. Still don't feel well and I had dinner over 16 hours ago :(((
So just as a tip from me: If this is in your soft food phase-plan, be super careful!
Evelyn
Risotto is one of my favorites and I have had a teeny bite ONCE in the last 10 months, same with polenta.  You need to be very careful and let your surgeon's office know that this recommendation is a poor one that could endanger their patients!  Three weeks out, a small glass of wine (3 oz) won't hurt, but no more than that...it does loosen you up a bit and will make you eat more.

You need to be on liquids for 24 hours following this episode, then get right back on track:

Measure your food, eat no more than the amount you have measured out.  If you are hungry wthin 2-3 hours, have another protein filled meal (about 200 calories) while you are in the healing phase (first 6 weeks or until you get a fill)
Eat primarily protien (risotto is carb)
Chew your food 25 times per bite.
No drinking with meals or for at least 30 min after.

Glad you posted this for other newbies and took responsibility for your outcome...learning experience

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 2:28 am
It wasn't poison shrooms,was it??

Petra :):
Evelyn M.
on 3/24/11 4:01 am - United Kingdom
I definitely didn't drink the whine with it (I am not that stupid lol), I used it as an igredient. When I have my follow-up appointment, I will definitely double check. They also said that for example rice pudding is okay as a snack, yet this is technically also just rice? Anyway, I definitely learned my lesson and it will be a long time until I try rice again.
Good point from you Kate, I spoke tp my partner and he said he had a bit of stomachache yesterday as well, so it might be a mild food poisoning on top op having the wrong food for my band! :((
Roll on weight loss!

Most Active