No driving for 2 weeks?

Tia F.
on 3/28/11 2:13 pm - VA

Paperwork states decreases the risk of a hernia but I don't understand the difference between operating the vehicle and sitting in the passenger seat. I am not feeling like I will be able to refrain from driving for 2 weeks after getting banded. What have your experiences been?

Tia    
Pantala
on 3/28/11 2:25 pm - TX
I remember I wasn't allowed to drive that day or maybe for 24hrs, but 3 days later, I was driving myself to work. Yes, I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to work on Monday, and I drove myself.
Tia F.
on 3/28/11 2:30 pm - VA
Thanks. I'm a rule-follower for the most part but I just don't see the sense in this one. Of course I won't push myself but I would hate to feel trapped for those few days.
Tia    
MARIA F.
on 3/28/11 2:41 pm - Athens, GA

I can't see why there would be a difference. I think a lot of the directions that we get are from the old forms. You know they used to much different. Longer hospital stays, no driving, etc.

They also seem to do a standard response to everything instead of individualizing. Like when they tell u when you are having lab tests no eating or drinking after midnight. Well they tend to tell everyone the same thing regardless of what time they are having the test instead of figuring out what hours would be!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Yelena K.
on 3/28/11 3:21 pm - Plymouth, MN
 I started driving after about a week. I probably could have driven sooner, but I was in pain, bloated and hurting and driving was the last thing on my mind! 

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

Kate -True Brit
on 3/28/11 4:47 pm - UK

I was told a minimum of 48 hours to allow the anaesthetic to clear my body, not to drive if I were taking strong painkillers (I never needed them) or if i were in pain (distracting!).

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

karianne
on 3/28/11 8:30 pm - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
I drove in four days, back to work LOL, had my surgery on a friday and worked tuesday,  As long as your not taking any heavy pain meds you should be fine, a hernia-from what lifting your toe onto the gas or brake-interesting.....

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

barbara314
on 3/28/11 8:43 pm
 I had some blurred vision after surgery (I think from the anesthesia), plus I was on pain medication, so I couldn't drive.  I gave myself a week.  There's always walking...

airhead_74
on 3/28/11 9:27 pm
DS on 08/20/12
I think the anestesia and pain meds probably have something to do with it. Take it slow and easy. Ask your Dr. the reason behind it.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

steelerfan1
on 3/28/11 10:19 pm
I wasnt allowed to drive the first 48 hrs then I could drive after that as long as it was comfortable for me . If I took any kind of pain pills though no driving .

I was just fine driving I was back to driving 72 hrs after my surgery going to the store .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Most Active