BINGER with a BAND! Getting HONEST!

prek-3
on 3/28/11 4:05 am - Hollywood, FL
I was a GRAZER!!!! A real danger with WLS patients! Anyway, I was able to lose the weight inspite of the GRAZING, but  once I got to goal, the grazing began to have a mind of its own!

My counselor helped me to identify those triggers and address, and still addressing those issues and foods that can have a force or hold over me. Yes  I am talking about FOOD ADDICTION! You can be a BINGER with a BAND! Something about those crunchier foods, in my case crackers and cookies, for some reason those foods can get around your BAND easily (up to a point of course), but a cookie here and a cookie there for a food addict is problematic. Especially where I work, there are certain cookies and saltine crackers that come in single servings (2 cookies or 2 crackers in a packet). Well 1 packet easily can go to 2, 3, then 4 etc... Its always innocent enough.

I knew I had a problem, but, now I am truely owning my addiction and fully understand 1 cracker in my case is one cracker too many! No different than an alcoholic . Why don't so many of us see that?  This obesity issue didn't happen over night. We can't tell our selves "oh its only 1 cookie", would we feel that was acceptable with persons who are alchoholics? Or a crack addict! Just one hit and I won't go back. 

Last 2 weeks, especially after reading "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler, I have not eaten 1 cookie or 1 cracker (my down fall foods)! Not saying I will be perfect, but I NEED to be VIGILENT. No different than a drug addict or an alchoholic!

In the last 9 months my family has been steering over to organic foods, mainly the meats, some fruits and veggies also organic. Basically eating foods that are in the perimeter of the grocery store. Nothing we "WLS" patients should be eating in between those aisles anyway (alll processed crap).  

Oh and the wonderful payoff, I am back to 145 pounds! Got rid of the extra 5  I  had allowed myself before my injury. And I am soooo happy and excited about my new healthy foods that I can taste, smell and more importantly, I enjoy!!!!

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 4:17 am - Des Moines, IA
Congrats on getting back to 145!  That's great to feel in control!

I just downloaded that book on my Kindle a few days ago and haven't read it yet, so I'm looking forward to that!
Lisa O.
on 3/28/11 4:17 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Thank you for sharing Prek!

I too am an addict when it comes to sugar!  My particular problem is candy and cookies!  When I give it up completely I can feel the difference in the way I feel and I start losing weight again, but once I start....Look Out!  I go crazy!  (My band never stops candy)

I just want Easter to be over!  Dang Easter Bunny, leaving all that crap at the grocery stores!

I'm going to check out that book.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

adorkbl
on 3/28/11 4:18 am
I had to also take the approach to cut out my binge food completely. No more ice cream. I went cold turkey for almost 3 months and have now allowed WW ice cream bars back into my freezer. I have to constantly be vigilant... make sure a laspe doesn't turn into a relaspe.

I think about food more now than I ever did before the band. Tiring.

Congrats on getting back to 145!! :)

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

crystal M.
on 3/28/11 4:29 am - Joliet, IL
You need to try Breyers Carb Smart ice cream bars they only have 9 carbs and are 100 calories.
adorkbl
on 3/28/11 4:47 am
I will check them out. Carbs are evil. Although I am so in love with WW Raspberry Dark Chocolate bars. Heaven. Only 80 calories and 12 carbs. Worth the 3 extra carbs.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

melly37
on 3/28/11 4:27 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Yes, that is most all of us........one is never going to be enough.  I got some wonderful reinforcement from some links "WasABubbleButt" had on her blog.  You can find these short videos on YouTube by the Merritt Wellness Center.  This one is my favorite!  www.youtube.com/watch

This doctor does a very good job of explaining why one cookie or cracker is not enough and the damage we are doing to ourselves in the process. 

I am glad you are owning your relationship once again......unfortunately our addictions never fully go away, we just have to be ever vigilent!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

prek-3
on 3/28/11 4:49 am - Hollywood, FL
Hi Melly!
How are you doin? Gonna check out that utube.
Thanks,
Prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

crystal M.
on 3/28/11 4:27 am - Joliet, IL
I am the same way.  I can't have one cookie.  I know there are people on here that say moderation is the key...but you can't tell me that.  It's like telling an alcoholic to have one beer...ya right!!!  I have to be veray careful because if I have one cookie will that open the flood gates to having 10 and then pretty soon it's 10 on Mondays and Wednesdays...then on weekends too. 

As far as the organic food I am with you all the way.  I buy only organic meat, dairy and produce.  I also stay away from the processed prepackaged or frozen convienance foods.  Sure they are easier to make but they are loaded with simple carbs, sodium and chemicals.  I am all for home-made food and it's not as much work as everyone thinks.  Most of my meals are ready to eat with in 20 minutes or less after I get home....crockpots and George Foreman grills...gotta love'em!!!  
prek-3
on 3/28/11 4:35 am - Hollywood, FL
Cmagorick,
Doing the organics and CLEAN eating. Last week I threww away all the salad dressings, thought my husband would faint! I took all the unopened bottles to work and offered them to my c@oworkers. They can't live in my house anymore! Now I'm lovin my olive oil and fancy basamic dressing. Learning about infussing them.
Prek3

Most Active