car accident

Evelyn M.
on 3/29/11 12:47 am - United Kingdom
so, it seems I am not very lucky. I have my band since 03/07/11, after a week I went to the doctor as I thought the scars don't look as good as they should do. The doctor said (and I quote): "To be honest. I have seen worse, you are fine". So I left. Yesterday I realised that I had puss in one of the scars (sorry I know it's ), so I wanted to change my doctor. Today I went an registered with another GP. We also booked straight an appointment for Thursday. On my way back-tadaaaah- I am involved in a car crash!!! Not my fault- I was on the main street, he came from the side street on the right, didn't look, didn't stop, I couldn't stop fast enough and crashed into his side. We were both fine, except for a shock. When I was home 20 minutes later I tried to drink something and it didn't go down smoothly (probably my ban d is in shock, too). Now the worst part is that I have pain on my right side when I breathe in. Is this related to my surgery you think? I called the hospital, they asked me to call one of the nurses tomorrow morning, I called my brandnew GP, they also asked me to call tomorrow morning.
I am just a little worried obviously, because my surgery is only 3 1/2 weeks ago...and to make matters worse I smoked two cigarettes (I know I shouldn't have, but I really needed them afterwards- they didn't taste good, was not worth it).
It seems I am not very lucky these days, am I?
Roll on weight loss!

Stephanie M.
on 3/29/11 1:00 am
You need to be seen by your bariatric surgeon (is he the one who told you "I've seen worse...") asap.  Do you hve redness around that incision site, does it feel hot and do you have a fever?  If you do, you need to go to the ER.  Even if the answer is no, you were in a car accident and are having pain with breathing...you need to be checked out, stat.

As far as smoking...throw the cigarettes away, NOW. 

As far as lucky...for the most part we create our own luck...yeah, the accident was unfortunate, but smoking is entirely up to you. 

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

crystal M.
on 3/29/11 1:24 am - Joliet, IL
Pain when breathing could be broken ribs from the accident.  I would have just gone to the ER for x-rays just to make sure.  Broken ribs can cause internal bleeding. 

I can understand why your band is tight.  When ever I am upset or stressed I get extra tight.  Accidents are very upsetting and stressful.  Just be extra careful when eating the next few days, you don't want to get stuck. 

Good luck
Lisa O.
on 3/29/11 1:25 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I wouldn't look to your GP for any kind of support for band related issues.  Most of them are clueless about band surgeries or other WLS. 

Your sugeon may have been off putting, but remember, they see a lot!  He was just being honest.  He's a surgeon and they are not always A+ on bedside manner.  As long as he knows how to do the surgery well that's the most important thing.  Do they have PA's in that office that will be giving you fills, etc.  Maybe they will be more comforting. 

As far as your wound goes, the port incision is usually the one that takes the longest to heal.  Mine looked bad for a long time but unless yours becomes hot to the touch, or you have a feaver or redness around the site that is expanding, you are probably o.k.  If you have Diabetes, then it's very common to get infections in your wounds and as long as you don't ignore the symptoms they are treatable.

Go ahead and see your GP on Thursday, but remember, you need to depend on your surgeon's practice for a lifetime of aftercare so you're going to need to figure out how to work with him.  He is the expert and changing Bariatric surgeons post op is not easy because most will not take patients that they didn't perform the surgery on.

I know it's scary and stressful, but hang in there. 

I'm terribley sorry about the accident!

Oh, also, pain on the right side is USUALLY not band related but you should always get any serious pain checked out.   Right side pain is often Gall Bladder for obese patients.  If you still have yours, your Dr. may do tests for GB illness.

Hang in there!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

marypatf
on 3/29/11 2:12 am
I agree with Everyone..except you.. just a few incidents does not make you unlucky..
You should follow up with wound care with the surgeons office.. I also thought my port wound was infected after a few weeks... It might have been just a skin infection..I showed my pa and she said it was ok... so I just kept it clean.... and it was fine...

I hope you are feeling better.... It sometimes takes a day after a bang with the car to feel the aches... Could be ribs, could be muscle... but since you are newly postop it would not hurt to check out....

Your luck it is a changing~~~
HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/29/11 2:26 am - UK

Oh you poor thing!

I assume you are NHS and so your GP is monitoring scars etc? But for the possible effect of an accident so soon post-op, I think you need to call your bariatric clinic. GPs in my experience are not particularly knowledgeable about the band! If you are self-pay, call your surgeons' secretary, if NHS call the clinic.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

marypatf
on 3/29/11 2:30 am

Kate.. love your picture... What is NHS?  is it some secret UK thingie>> 

HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/29/11 6:50 am - UK

National Health Service. Free health care. But to qualify for bariatric surgery you have to have severe co-morbidities. Most UK wls people are self-pay.

Thanks for the compliment!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

D. Scott
on 3/29/11 2:33 am
RNY with
First off I am so sorry about your accident, and I absolutely agree with other posters who are advising you to see a doctor right away for the pain. It may or may not be related to your band, but it still needs to be looked at. Per your incisions, mine were so ugly and took forever to heal. My Dr used derma bond instead of stiches and even though I have heard that derma bond is supposed to be better, they took forever to heal. It was over a month before my port incision was healed and it was constantly oozing and reopening (gross, sorry). I think if you had an infection your dr. would have wanted to treat it when he saw you. Best of luck!

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

Evelyn M.
on 3/29/11 4:27 am - United Kingdom
Thank you guys for all your understanding and comments and support! Yes, Kate, I am with NHS (the secret British code for National Health Service :P) and I will definitely call the hospital tomorrow morning before I call my GP. I do not think that I broke a rib, but it might be a muscle or a nerve or something- it just really scared me because it was so soon after the surgery.
But definitely again thank you, will speak to the hospital and GP tomorrow morning!
Roll on weight loss!

Most Active