Third times a charm?

jeanmomof4
on 3/31/11 6:43 am - IL
Well I'm going in next Wed. for my third fill. This is what I think I have experienced. I get a fill and there must be some swelling, correct? Then after 2 weeks the swelling must go down cuz I have no restriction. So I figured with each fill and the swelling goes down it stays a little tighter every time. But I can literally eat anything but cardboard or rubber. My husband is convinced I have restriction, even though he is not inside my body feeling this. I'm eating less on my own. I'm so paranoid I'll gain weight. Problem is I'm just not losing lbs. I have finally started fast walking with running bursts a mile daily. My bum knee, elbow & lower back are just going to have to take it. Hopefully If I build enough muscle around those areas the pain will subside. I did get a pain block injection in the elbow 2 weeks ago. I sure hope this third fill helps.

Lisa O.
on 3/31/11 6:54 am - Snoqualmie, WA
My PA says that the tissue around the band can swell for up to 3 days post fill, that's why it takes a while for you to realize the full effect of the fill.  I'm supposed to do liquids for 3 days but won't do that so I stay to soft foods and that works fine.

Be patient.  It takes a few fills and your level of restriction will change over time as you lose weight, experience stress or other strong emotions, if you retain water, etc., etc.  The human body is amazing and things happen internally that we may never have know about if we didn't have a band.

Just remember that during these tough days, it's up to you to contol portion size.  Just because you CAN eat something, doesn't mean you should.  If you want to optimize your weight loss change what you eat, not just how much.

Be careful with the exercise.  If you have injuries running is not going to help at all.  In fact you may hurt yourself further and keep you from exercise permanently.  Seek out something low impact like swimming or water aerobics.  Be kind to your body, obesity has already stressed it enough.  BTW, I had terrible knees and feet pre surgery and today I have no pain!  I never thought it would be possible to completely cure my plantar facitis, heel spurs and deteriorating knees but for me losing 100+ lbs was a miricle so I guess that's what it takes!

Hang in there.  Keep following the band rules and make healthy choices.  

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

charmanderz26
on 3/31/11 7:30 am
I completely agree Lisa.  I subconsciously know I can down a hamburger and fries in one sitting, but I don't.  I've gained weight myself just by eating the right foods and trying to control my portions, but it's still not small enough to start dropping weight. 

I also agree, you should not stress your body too much with exercise.  Walking is more natural and can burn calories.  I know some people will say that high impact is better and more productive, but I have this body the rest of my life and I need to make it last.  You didn't see people in the old day****ting the gym.  They weren't sedentary and walked everywhere.  They also didn't have everything perserved with high fructose corn syrup nor did they have TVs.  
Most Active