Bowel Movement after surgery....

syeda54
on 4/10/11 5:26 am - CA
 Sorry folks----not a very pleasant topic, but.....

I am six days out of surgery and have yet to have a bowel movement.  Is this normal, or do you think that there is reason for concern?

~~Syeda

Hislady
on 4/10/11 6:01 am - Vancouver, WA
Not unusual at all because you aren't putting anything in to come out, so to speak. Now once you start eating some solid foods you should start "moving" again. If you are feeling backed up or like you need to have a movement and it's not happening try some milk of magnesia, that usually gets things rolling. You also may have some watery stools, liquids in, liquids out.
JoyAnn
on 4/10/11 6:02 am - Rock Hill, SC
Better then pooping yourself on the pre-op diet
... My doc said its not normal to poop everyday or even the same as you did before surgery but to call him if it takes longer then I am comfortable with.... so thats his/my advice

syeda54
on 4/10/11 7:25 am - CA
 Nevermind......   : )

kbagnell
on 4/10/11 11:01 am - Bristol, Canada
Syeda,  Not unusual at all.  I went twice in 3 weeks post surgery and was MISERABLE.  I finally called the surgeon's office and they told me to take double doses of the stool softeners and get some glycerin suppositories.  That helped somewhat and then I bought some liquid senokot and that helped tremendously.  In your early stages just don't take any prune juice or prunes because they cause your stomach to contract in a particular fashion it shouldn't at this point.  It does get a little better but I think this is an issue we'll all be learning to deal with for life.  Good luck.
syeda54
on 4/10/11 11:21 am - CA
 Thank you for your post!!  I had been drinking a bit of prune juice here and there. 
The information you find on this site is soooo valuable to me!!!

Most Active