Learning to accept compliments gracefully

svera
on 4/12/11 2:06 pm - Long Beach, CA
 It a little surreal to be getting so many compliments! I just switched back to the day shift from 7 months on the night shift and am now seeing so many people that I worked with before.  I guess part of me feels like Im slacking because I haven't lost anything in 3 months and Im still @25 lbs from goal. But all of the compliments, stares, even catcalls (lol) are reassuring me of how far I have come and the work I have accomplished. People I have worked with for 10 years walk by without recognizing me!

I do look good, feel good, sleep good and have way more energy than before and even if I don't get to goal it was SO WORTH IT!!! So I am trying to accept compliments without adding a lil put down on myself because Im worth the full compliment and I deserve the accolades! Am I the only one who seemingly always has to bring the good down a notch? I hope that is something I can change. I hope my realization can help you all on the path to self acceptance/love. Now when people tell me how good I look I say "thank you, (smile) I feel good! "
   Sara Vera                  
ete77
on 4/12/11 2:48 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Wow!  Congratulations Sara!  I can't wait till I am where you are.  You deserve those compliments because you worked hard and were brave to get where you are!

Ete 

Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.
Tony Robbins

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/11 11:38 pm - Des Moines, IA
I went through that phase also and have learned to just smile and say thanks.  Once we start maintaining, the compliments slow down and that's okay too. 

Congrats on your weight loss!
Kristi
jackm601
on 4/13/11 12:26 am
I too have a hard time accepting compliments; always have.  I think it's worse now.  I feel "dishonest" if someone compliments me and I don't tell them I had surgery.  My husband says I am learning to accept graciously, and that I don't HAVE to offer the surgery info.  Regardless of how I look, after losing 46 lbs, I FEEL REALLY AWESOME!

Hope the compliments keep coming for us all.

Jack

Hislady
on 4/13/11 9:53 am - Vancouver, WA
Yep I find a simple "Thankyou!" to be all that's needed.
svera
on 4/13/11 10:10 am - Long Beach, CA
 thanks it feels good!

Sara Vera                  
Most Active