HIP Pre-surgical Requirements

mscarter007
on 4/18/11 1:06 pm - NY
Can someone please tell me how long they had to be on supervised dietary visits with HIP health insurance?  My surgeon is telling me 3months and my pcp and nutritionist are telling me 6.  I don't think I have the patience to wait another 3 months. On the other hand don't think either octor will approve me at the 3 months!  Any advise or helpful information?

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 2:55 pm - NY
Hip is such a pain to deal with.. but to my understanding with most insurance the min is 6 mon. It varies.. I have aetna and I am currently in month 3 of this three ring circus... Maybe you should give a call to member services to find out for yourself. Good Luck :)
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 10:01 pm - Des Moines, IA
You need to call the insurance company and find out.  Good luck!
journeyseeker
on 4/18/11 10:10 pm - dalton, GA
With my insurance I'm doing 6 months.

Journeyseeker
Begining 6 mo supervised diet 4/15/2011---
385pre-op meeting w/ surgeon 10/3/2011 ---- 361
Begining of liquid diet 10/13/2011---- 359.00
Day of surgery 10/27/2011---- 349.6
1 week follow up 11/03/2011 ----340.00
1 month follow up 11/30/2011---346.00
2nd month follow up 1/10/2012---- 341.00

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 11:56 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
If you live in CALIFORNIA......( From Diana Cox )

Dated March 23, 2011: http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/ASMBS%20Position%20 Statement%20on%20Preoperative%20Supervised%20Weight%20Loss%2 0Requirements.pdf

PRE-OPS: YOU CAN FIGHT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY'S REQUIREMENTS FOR PRE-OP WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS! 

Summary and Recommendations

1. There are no Class I studies or evidence-based reports that document the benefits of, or the need for, a 6 to 12 month pre-operative dietary weight loss program before bariatric surgery. The current evidence supporting preoperative weight loss involves physician-mandated weight loss to improve surgical risk or to evaluate patient adherence. Although many believe there may be benefits to acute preoperative weight loss in the weeks before bariatric surgery, the available Class II-IV data regarding acute weight loss prior to bariatric surgery are indeterminate and provide conflicting results leading to no clear consensus at this time. Preoperative weight loss that is recommended by the surgeon and/or the multi-disciplinary bariatric treatment team due to an individual patient’s needs may have value for the purposes of improving surgical risk or evaluating patient adherence, but is supported only by low-level evidence in the literature at the present time.

2. One effect of mandated preoperative weight management prior to bariatric surgery is attrition of patients from bariatric surgery programs. This barrier to care is likely related to patient inconvenience, frustration, healthcare costs and lost income due to the requirement for repeated physician visits that are not covered by health insurance.

It is the position of the ASMBS that the requirement for documentation of prolonged preoperative diet efforts before health insurance carrier approval of bariatric surgery services is inappropriate, capricious, and counter-productive given the complete absence of a reasonable level of medical evidence to support this practice. Policies such as these that delay, impede or otherwise interfere with life-saving and cost-effective treatment, as have been proven to be true for bariatric surgery to treat morbid obesity, are unacceptable without supporting evidence. Individual surgeons and programs should be free to recommend preoperative weight loss based on the specific needs and cir****tances of the patient.

rissa025
on 4/21/11 1:35 pm - NY
I have HIP and I had to do 6 months with a nutritionist and they want 3 months of notes from your pcp and all the notes from the nutritionist it was a pain in the butt but seeing the nutritionist helps they keep you on track and you have to do everything they ask of you and dont miss a month or you will have to start over I know a girl that had to do it she was p***ed good luck on your journey look I know you look forward to getting that date.
LOVE,LIVE,LIFE

mscarter007
on 4/22/11 9:27 am - NY

Thank you guys for the information.  Lissa how far are you and do you like Dr. Gellman's service.  I am seeing Dr. Gadaleta and they work out of the same office. 

mscarter007
on 4/22/11 9:31 am - NY
I'm sorry I misspelled your name.  Also, did they give you a date when you submitted your 3 month paperwork?

NewSkinnyChick30
on 4/23/11 2:51 am - NY
I that is strange i have hip insurance as well but im having vertical sleeve but  my dr didnt tell me i had to do a 6month diet..and my paperwork got submited..i would call hip and check..

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
~Henry David Thoreau~

mscarter007
on 4/23/11 7:55 am - NY
That's very weird!  This really sucks!  I have one more appointment left this Friday and I was hoping it was only 3months!  I will see my surgeon on Tuesday so i will have my list of questions ready.  If I, in fact, have to complete the 6 months that would be fine as long as I can get a date. 

Most Active