Just got surgery and have questions

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/19/11 11:37 pm
Good morning everyone.  My name is Brenda and yesterday, April 19th, I had the lap-band surgery done.  Getting through the day was not the most pleasant, as I would say most surgeries are not.  I have a few thoughts/questions going through my mind and welcome any advice in return.

1.  There is only one incision of the five that are really hurting, and that is where I believe the port is.  I swear I can "feel" it inside me.....is that just in my head?

2.  Will I ever feel hunger and want to eat?  As of now I'm drinking hot tea and can barely get it down because I feel so bloated.

3.  Can you ever drink and eat at the same time again?  I'm under the impression that as long as the band is inside, you cannot eat and drink at the same time.  I'm just picturing going out to a nice dinner and wanting to take a few sips of whatever to help wash the food down, and not being able to do it because of the band.

4.  Hair loss.......I've driven myself crazy doing research on this.  From what I've read, most people say it's because of the anesthesia.  Some other people say it's because of the drastic change they've made in their diets.  I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years and although heavy, I've always been conscious of what I eat, whether it's items that are low/free of sugar or fat.  So I'm hoping that my body is already used to these types of food and that will not be the cause of any hair loss (in essence there will not be a change in what I eat....just the portions).  I also take big doses of several vitamins, zinc included, which I read was something to take to promote hair growth should it come out.  Biotin is another vitamin many other people on this website wrote about.  Any other vitamins people suggest for the hair loss issue?

anumrzvee
on 4/20/11 12:17 am - PA
Good morning! Congrats on your surgery! I, too, had pain (of course) after my surgery. My pain was primarily on the right upper side. I asked the doctor if that was where the port was and he showed me its on the right side of my navel...and yes! I could feel it, even with the swelling.

As far as the hunger, it will come. And if it comes too frequently, you'll know it's time for a fill. The bloated feeling is natural because of the new restriction from the band.

I, too, love to eat and drink, but am aware that contributed to my weight gain. So I, personally, don't do it. My doctor did tell me if I needed to take a few sips to aid something down, that's ok...but not to drink in gulps. Remember, you don't want to "wash the food down" through the band. If you do, you will push the food through and be able to keep on eating...thus defeating the purpose of the band.

Hair loss...hmmmm...what I've heard is taking your multi vitamin daily, along with getting the proper amount of protein and drinking plenty of fluids will help prevent the damaging effects of surgery up to and including hair loss.

I am pretty new to this too! I just got banded Feb 21, 2011, but did MAJOR research on the band. So I speak a little from experience and a lot from the experiences of others.

I hope this helps...and WELCOME TO THE LOSERS BENCH!!!

Von a.k.a.
  Anumrzvee

Jean M.
on 4/20/11 12:18 am, edited 4/20/11 12:18 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Welcome, Sleepless, and congratulations on being banded.

1.  There is only one incision of the five that are really hurting, and that is where I believe the port is.  I swear I can "feel" it inside me.....is that just in my head? Yes, that's probably where your port is, although what you're feeling is probably more related to surgical trauma than the actual port.

2.  Will I ever feel hunger and want to eat?  Yes, you probably will. Right now you've still got the lingering effects of the general anesthesia, any pain meds you're on, and surgical swelling. Eventually the hunger and desire to eat will return, but getting fills in your band should reduce those feelings.

3.  Can you ever drink and eat at the same time again?  No, you can't. Or I should say, you shouldn't. When you consume liquid at the same time as solid food, the liquids turn the solids into a soft slush that doesn't trigger your vagus nerves (in the top of your stomach) to tell your brain to stop eating. You'll be able to eat more than you should, thereby defeating the entire purpose of your band. You will just have to learn to live with the new habit of no drinking while eating. I deal with by drinking generously right up until the meal starts. If I feel a strong urge to drink during the meal and just can't bear it, I go into the bathroom and rinse my mouth with water.Finally, you will probably get to a point where your stoma is so small that it will be blocked by food, and any liquids you drink then will have nowhere to go than back up your esophagus and out of your mouth. That's no fun for anyone, especially during a nice meal in a nice restaurant.

4.  Hair loss. I haven't experienced that. I've heard that biotin supplements can help, and I've also heard other WLS patients saying that eventually their hair started growing normally again. I think my hair is fuller and healthier than ever now because my diet is so much healthier. A final word of advice: try not expend too much energy on this issue because hair loss may not happen to you at all.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/20/11 12:32 am
Thank you so much ladies for your responses.  I'm so glad to have joined this site and be able to get feedback .  I know the post-op instructions I received that outline the suggested eating/diet over the next few days into the next few months suggest to not drink 30 minutes before a meal, however Jean, I noticed you said you drink right up until eating.  However, it makes sense how you and Von both explained how eating and drinking at the same time will flush the food right down, and in essence defeating the purpose of not feeling hungry. 

Ironically as I had posted earlier, the surgical center called to follow up with me and confirmed that the incision that seems to hurt the most (my upper left abdomen) is indeed where the port is.  And the gas that was in my upper neck area yesterday seems to have made it's way around the front, causing the bloating feeling I'm having now.  I wonder how long it will take for this current bloating and pain to go away?

Brenda    
kathkeb
on 4/20/11 4:20 am
The gas pain/discomfort may come and go for a while (a week or 2) --- walking and moving around will help to 'dislodge' it ---- I also found that a heating pad on my  upper back/shoulder helped a bit.

Your post-op instructions should be 'walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip' --- staying hydrated and moving around is the best 'medicine' right now!
Kath

dawnmarieNJ
on 4/20/11 1:24 am, edited 4/20/11 1:24 am
REALIZE Band on 08/11/10 with
Hi Brenda. Where in NJ are you?

I will echo what everyone above said. I was going to say pretty much the same thing!

Just one day after surgery I wasn't hungry either. My hunger didn't return until about Day 3. Some people say they're not hungry for up to a week or two after surgery. I was not so lucky!

My largest incision - where my port was - was also uncomfortable for about a week.

Ditto what Jean said about eating and drinking at the same time, but you will get used to it. Trust me. There will be NO MORE "washing it down."

I experienced some hair loss - not severe - but not until about 4 - 5 months after surgery. I was getting plenty of protein and taking my vitamins religiously. I asked my surgeon for advice and he said I can try Biotin if it was really worrying me. I never got it, and it seemed to remedy itself.

Congrats on your surgery, and good luck to you!

You can't go back and make a brand new start, but you can start from now and make a brand new end. 

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/20/11 6:49 am
Hi Dawn!  I live in Middlesex County and got the surgery in Morris County at Florham Park Surgical Center. 

The incision where the port is has just been so painful today....more than yesterday.  Because I've barely been able to drink anything I have not take the pain medicine because it will only upset my stomach. 

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to the no eating & drinking at the same time.  My father is a survivor of esophagus cancer who actually had a new esophagus created from stomach lining.  The changes he had to undergo were unbelievable, and quite painful in the beginning, so I really should not complain. 

Did you have the Lapband or Realize band?  I still never really understood the difference going into surgery......
dawnmarieNJ
on 4/20/11 1:27 am
REALIZE Band on 08/11/10 with
P.S. - with regard to gas & bloating....

I felt bloated for about a week. However, my stomach looked bloated and puffy/swollen for almost 2 weeks. I was told that is normal.

I didn't experience "typical" gas pains. However, I had a very uncomfortable feeling of pressure in my chest for about 2 weeks. It felt like I had swallowed a softball and it was just sitting there like a lump. It was definitely painful. I was told this is also normal, although not as common as the shoulder pains.

cristie2000
on 4/20/11 3:25 am
 GOod morning!  I also had my lap-band placed yesterday.  I am having shoulder/chest pain and bloating.  I am also not hungry.  I am not repulsed by food, just nothing sounds that great.  I am craving a protein shake though.  I didn't think I would ever say that!  I think I just know if I had something with good protein I would start feeling better.  I am trying to walk and rest as much as possible and start this wonderful journey!  Good luck to you!
 “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.? ~Theodore Roosevelt

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/20/11 6:58 am
Hi Cristie!  We share the same anniversary date!  Congrats to you! 

After my post early this morning, I finally was able to take some sips of water and Crystal Light iced tea, but only because my mouth was dry.  Just a little while ago I had a small bowl of vegetarian broth, which went down fairly well.  It's the same with me....not repulsed by food, but really interested in anything either.  Funny.....I bought a container of chocolate protein shake mix at Target the day before my surgery and thought to myself "I can't wait to have some of that"!!!  Yes, most likely it will make you feel better and when we're back to feeling somewhat normal, it will help us feel full.  Eventually when we get to the stage where we can add things to it (for me it will be in another 2 weeks....not sure what your doctor recommends) I will add small pieces of banana and put it in the blender. 

Now that I got some rest after my early morning post, I'm going to take a quick drive to the supermarket down the road.  That will enable me to walk around and buy some of the things so I can start what my doctor refers to as Stage 2.....farina, skim milk, smooth soups.  And it hopefully will push some of this gas out that I'm still feeling.

When do you plan to return to work?  I only took off this week but am wondering if I should've taken off longer. 
Most Active