Dr. says band might be leaking

Becca H.
on 4/21/11 4:42 pm - Mid, MI
Hi. I went to get a fill a few days ago. I have a 4 cc band, which was nearly full at about 3.8 or 3.9 ccs prior to this fill. At my appt, my doctor removed all my fluid before he did my fill, and discovered that I only had 2ccs of fluid in my band!! He said that there's a possibility that either the port or the band itself is leaking. I have to go back in a few weeks to see if what he put in this time is still there. He's going to schedule me for fill with contrast dye to see if there's a leak anywhere. Has anyone else ever had this happen? What was the outcome? What could it be besides a leak? 
shellqueen
on 4/22/11 3:45 am - New Brighton, MN
Oh yea, I've had this happen. I needed a new port. My doctor said when he went to check the fluid there was bubbling in the syringe-did that happen to you? You'll need to ask your MD. Having a port replacment isn't nearly as bad as having the LAP Band put in-its like only 1/2 the surgery. Good Luck! K
sandyswhisper
on 4/22/11 10:45 am - Vergennes, VT
I had a fill yesterday. As the doc was pulling out the existing fluid, the nurse commented, "there's a lot of air."  I asked her "What does that mean?"  She quickly replied, "It's just an observation.".  They told me not to worry...but I wonder what that means.  Could it be a leak? or a problem with the port?  I've had it for 2 years.  The idea of another surgery does not sound appealing!
Most Active