Surgery on Friday..work on monday

reddhedgrl
on 4/23/11 1:32 pm
Ok, so I may be crazy, but I have surgery on Friday and I plan on going to work on Monday. I am an office manager for a Dr.s office...they don't know I'm having a Lap Band at all..they are against it. I have had several abdominal surgeries...gall bladder, and cystectomy's so I know what to expect...but it has been awhile so I don't remember how I felt 3 days out....any advice?
kathkeb
on 4/23/11 1:52 pm
I had an outpatient surgery on a  Friday morning --- no complications, home within about 3 hours.

Nothing stronger than Liquid Tylenol -- but I would not have gone back to work on Monday.
I needed time to rest, I needed time to sit and sip shakes and water and stay hydrated.

My advice -- take a few days off and take care of yourself.
Kath

mscarter007
on 4/23/11 2:13 pm - NY

My advice to you would be to get much much much rest.  Let me know how it works out for you because this is something I may do.

Duck_Girl
on 4/23/11 3:18 pm
I shampooed the carpets in our downstairs about 1200 sqft on day 2 after surgery... But I dont think I would of been ready to go back full time for a full work week right after surgery. I would of called in sick Monday if I had to of. I had surgery on a thursday and went back on Tuesday.

Good luck with your surgery :) Have a healthy recovery!

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/23/11 10:11 pm
Hi there and congrats on surgery!  I had the Lap Band last Tuesday, April 19th, around 7:30am and was home by 11:30am.  The first day was pretty painful (I also had a hiatal hernia corrected) and I really didn't feel like my old self until Friday, 3 days after the surgery.  I was finally able to venture out and drive to the store to purchase a gift for an upcoming baby shower.  Well, thank God I had a cart that I was pushing around because out of nowhere I felt flush, warm, and truly thought I was going to pass out in the store.  Thankfully I was in the furniture section of the store, where I was able to sit down and rest for a few minutes until it passed.  Maybe I took advantage of feeling well and pushed myself too hard??

Yes you've had several abdominal sugeries and know what to expect, however, I think it will only mentally help prepare you for the pain and recovery.  You still need to physically heal.

I was scheduled to return to work tomorrow, and I'm a social worker who deals with child abuse/neglect in a high stress work environment.  I absolutely dread going back and may not push myself and just use another sick day tomorrow, even Tuesday.

Good luck to you and rest rest rest!

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing and what you decided!
psychomom
on 4/23/11 11:00 pm - China Grove, NC
I was up (w/help lol) the next morning at 6:45 am helping the hubby get the kids off to school. I am a stay at home mommy so I went right back to bed afterwards. Going back on day 3 may be pushing it a little. It just depends really but generally you still have alot of gas and swelling and soreness and you tire easily. I do not think I could have returned to a full time job so soon in all honesty.

Jshivery
on 4/23/11 11:21 pm
Revision on 03/10/16
I had my surgery 3/23 which was a Wednesday and I went back on Monday.  I was exhausted.  That Friday after surgery I went for a 45 min walk with my family, but I was just exhausted after I started back.  I am an Admin Asst for a large Orthopedic practice where I live.  So I did get to sit a lot, but I was till exhausted and wished I would have taken atleast that whole week after surgery.  You may be okay, just take it easy.  As for them not liking the surgery, I say, "screw 'em"!!  Congrats and good for you for taking the first step to the rest of your life!!  Much love and hugs coming your way!!!

amanda7
on 4/24/11 5:17 am
First off Congrats on your surgery!! I hope all goes well.  My advise, stay home at least Monday.  Get as much rest as possible.  You will feel better when you go back say on Tuesday.  I had a LapBand revision Wed. and a hiatial hernia repair.  Yesterday, I got out for just a little while and felt very weak, hot, and sick.  I had to lay down before passing out.  Today, I am paying for doing too much.  Pain is back and very weak.  Don't pu****if you can burn a day go for it.!! I wish you a speedy recovery and God Bless You!! 
vwbug
on 4/24/11 6:40 am - WA
I am like you, I will be having my surgery on friday May 6th and going back to work on Monday.  Mainly because I dont have a backup to do part of my job that hast to be done on Mondays.  If I feel to bad i can leave at noon. 

Let me know how that works   K.
Lisa O.
on 4/24/11 8:48 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Not only will you have to be completely off any pain killers to drive, you will be sore and tired.  I had a really easy recovery compared to what others report here, (no gas pains, etc.), but I would NEVER have gone back to work on day 3 post Op.  While I felt great I was tired!

My surgeon also told me know lifting more than 5 lbs for at least 2 weeks.

If you can get at least one extra day, I would do it!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active