cotton mouth/sharp pain in left side

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/23/11 10:30 pm, edited 4/23/11 10:31 pm
Hi everyone and Happy Easter.  I'm 5 days post-op for the Lap Band and about 2 days ago a constant dry, cotton mouth, icky feeling has returned to my mouth (similar to when you come out of anesthesia but nowhere as bad as that).

At some points, it even feels as if I have fuzz in my mouth or swallowed a piece of hair.  I constantly find myself taking small sips of water, tea, etc, and often rinsing my mouth with Listerine and gargling it, but it only relieves the feeling very briefly.  Has anyone experienced this?

Also, the gas pains for the most part have subsided, with the exception of bloating.  However, last night around 11pm, out of nowhere, I developed a horrible, jabbing pain in the middle of my left side that stretched around to my back.  It hurt in every position I sat or laid, but eventually I was able to lay down on the opposite side with a heating pad on top of the pain to give some relief.  I woke up this morning with the intense pain gone, however, there is still a residual "jabbing" feeling.  Has anyone had this?  Could it be a type of gas pain that I just didn't experience yet?

Brenda    
Donnamarie
on 4/23/11 11:30 pm - NY

I have had pain in my left side as well.  It's strange, sometimes a sharp pain and other times a dull ache.  My port is on my right side so I can't begin to explain the pain in the left side.  I have two very small incisions there so I can't imagine they are causing me pain. 

At least you don't feel as if you are alone!!  I am 4 weeks out as of Tuesday, 4/26.

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/23/11 11:44 pm

My port is on my left side, a few inches below my left breast.  While laying in bed and experiencing the horrible pains, I thought the worse with the port.  Then I wondered if it was another form of gas.  Man.....when they warn you about unusual gas pains post-op they are NOT kidding!!!! 

Are you still experiencing bloating?  I realize it's not been a week yet since the surgery, but I find myself having a hard time getting my liquids because if I don't feel bloated, I will after I drink.  Drinking hot tea makes it even worse.  I'm lucky if I get 8oz of water a day in now.  However, I do manage to drink 1-3 protein shakes a day with skim milk. 

Congrats to you for getting the surgery and let's keep in touch!  It's always nice to communicate with someone who had the surgery around the same time!

Brenda    
Donnamarie
on 4/24/11 1:19 am - NY
My port pain was minimal.  But I did feel that jabbing and stretching thing.  Once I leaned over and I thought I had ripped the whole thing out!! LOL

Oh that bloating.  I had it for a good 2 1/2 weeks.  I also had a seroma under my port incision which had to be drained twice.  I can FINALLY say the swelling is completely gone and I am feeling very normal.

I am scheduled for my one month follow up on 4/27. 

It totally gets better.  In a week from now you will not even remember the discomfort!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

aliciahegeman
on 4/24/11 12:39 am - Highland, NY
Congrats and HAPPY EASTER!    try a sf popcicle or ice chips are you still taking pain meds?
SleeplessinNewJerse
y

on 4/24/11 1:09 am
Thank you on the congrats!  I never really took pain meds.  The one percoset they gave me upon discharge made me vomit so I never took any more.  Have just been getting by tolerating the pain these past few days.

I do have sugar free popsicles so I will try one of those.  Thank you Alicia!

Brenda    
Most Active